Prevent lifting injuries with nutrition?

Options
KiyaK
KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
Tl;dr I keep getting small injuries while lifting. How can I avoid this? Should I be adjusting my calories and/or macros? Or do I just need to slow my training?

More info:
I'm new to lifting. Just finished week 9 of Strong Curves beginner workout. I had to take a 3-4 week break for moving across the country. I repeated weeks 7 & 8, then moved on. I lift twice a week, doing workouts A & B for those familiar with the program. For the most part, I've been increasing my weights each week. I started everything at bodyweight & add 5 or 10lbs the next workout, as long as I could complete the exercise at max reps. I'm very careful of form & would rather take a break or not make my reps than break form.

On Monday of this week I slightly pulled my back during the workout. Went to visit the chiropractor. On Thursday I modified & skipped some moves. Back felt great, but this morning a past shoulder injury is aching again.

My stats: 29 years old, 5'6". Started at 165lbs & am currently 155. Want to lose another 15lbs. 1st priority losing weight, second priority gaining strength/definition. I have MFP set to sedentary (I sit on my butt most of the day) & 1 lb loss. It has me at about 1350 calories per day. I generally get around 60g of protein a day. I don't eat back any exercise calories, as I only lift twice a week, practice mild yoga 3x & walk anywhere from 1k-10k steps a day (probably average 3k). I have been losing EXACTLY 1lb/week the last 2 weeks (since we finished moving) doing this.

So, How can I stop getting injured? Should I be adjusting my calories and/or macros? Or do I just need to adjust my training? (Aka, add weights more slowly)

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nutrition is 90% of the battle but proper form and proper tech is your best plan of action- I'm almost 50 have lifted like a mad man most of my life and up until the past three years I never knew how wrong I was my entire life when it comes to training. Slow the range of motion down and truly concentrate on the muscles your working you will get so much stronger which will lead to the body you want with proper nutrition.. My 2 cents use your Body for resistance my back is my best body part because I do lots of pull ups, legs got stronger when I started box steps and jumping, planks are awesome especially with your feet 12 inches up a wall with one hand in the air..
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's not your nutrition.

It's either a form or intensity issue. You're either doing too much - which would include insufficient rest, too much weight, too many reps per the weight you're doing... - or something is off with your form.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    It's your lifting technique and form that's the issue. Have you had an expert watch you lift?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's your lifting technique and form that's the issue. Have you had an expert watch you lift?
    I have not. But I just joined a new gym that includes 2 sessions with a personal trainer. I plan to use them to check form. Will wait until these injuries are healed & then schedule with a PT.
    Thank you for the suggestion