Hysterectomy and water retetention

Options
I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago, ovaries were not taken.
I started the weight loss journey in late April. May 11th I was so frustrated because I put 3+ lbs back on. I couldnt figure out how I regained it all. This morning I have gone up a lb. Wondering if I could be retaining water from my TOM even though I dont have it anymore. Anyone have any knowledge experience or thoughts?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Remember how you used to get strange cravings right before tom? I remember eating anything in sight. I also got to keep my ovaries.
    I still get those cravings. I still have to be mindful.
    For me, it was not retaining water, it was just that I was eating more junk food.
    Could it be that you may be eating more things like chips and pizza that are high in sodium?
  • wickedmaineah
    wickedmaineah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I get cravings but refuse to act on them. Not an easy task! I will have to watch over the next few months to see.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hysterectomy but kept my ovaries. For months I felt bloaty and my breasts still hurt every now and then. Im sure its my "cycle" and I should keep track. Im just so darn happy to not bleed anymore that I don't care.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    I retain more water during ovulation than I do during menstruation. I haven't had a hysterectomy yet, but I may be having one soon. I will keep my ovaries and it is my understanding that you will still ovulate until you go through menopause you just won't have the monthly bleed.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I retain more water during ovulation than I do during menstruation. I haven't had a hysterectomy yet, but I may be having one soon. I will keep my ovaries and it is my understanding that you will still ovulate until you go through menopause you just won't have the monthly bleed.
    Yes. You will still "go through the motions" minus the bleeding uterus. Its amazing!
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Same here (hys. Kept ovaries). I've noticed a few things in the 5 years post surgery. 1. My breasts swell more and actually become cystic during "that time", it's very painful. Doc says its normal for a lot of women.. But I never had it prior to the hysterectomy. 2. When I work out (or even just walking), my hands and feet swell... Assuming it's retention. 3. I can still feel the occasional cramping from ovulation (reminds me It's that time). 4. Still very dry down there. But, none of those symptoms make me want to have a monthly visit again. It's very freeing to not track your cycle and carry supplies anymore. Oh, and I've noticed, it's much easier to put on weight post surgery. Anybody else?