Wok your way to eating volume that is filling....!

Options
SingingSingleTracker
SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Looking for a way to chow down on a lot of volume, yet not so many calories to fill the stomach?

My Wok has bee a very successful tool for me - and is really easy to cook up a batch of stir fry as my main side - or the entire meal depending on what I put in the Wok. I usually keep the fridge stocked with a variety of vegetables and throw in whatever tickles my fancy for the major portion of my evening meal when I'm looking to chow down.

Typical example from last night...

27302900640_ac53eab69a_b.jpg

What was in it?

27507620471_f0fb78521d_b.jpg

I thought I would make it through the entire batch, but barely made it to the 1/2 way point (so I have leftovers for tonight) due to eating other things as well.

Point being - it's really fun and easy to cook (I love to chop up veggies) all while being so filling due to the sheer volume you get to eat. Ditto on steamed broccoli (another favorite of mine) to fill the plate.

It was a major strategy in my cooking as I cut from 189 down to 166 this year for the bike season.

Wok away!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, love my wok too!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My wok has sat unused for years, but I'm motivated to dust it off. I use a huge high walled frying pan but you photo reminds my how practical the wok is. Thanks for posting.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    My wok has sat unused for years, but I'm motivated to dust it off. I use a huge high walled frying pan but you photo reminds my how practical the wok is. Thanks for posting.

Your welcome. Time to dig that Wok out and at least give it a go once a week for some nice variety in your cooking.

• Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm coming over for dinner tonight! I had my sister in laws wok for a long time and she took it when she moved out and I was just thinking yesterday that I needed to get one for myself! Steaming is also so easy using a wok. Have you ever tried using sesame oil when cooking stir fry? It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way and it definitely gives that authentic Asian flavor to your meal. :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Stir-fries are weekly staples for me. Nutrient-dense, filling, and delicious. I include a marinated meat and either add in noodles or serve over rice; each serving works out to be 400-500 calories and is spot on for my macros.

For those who want fewer calories or are watching their carbs, give shirataki noodles a try in a stir-fry. They're not a great substitute for real noodles IMO, but they're useful for bulking up a dinner every now and then when I'm short on calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting about bok choy for my stir fry. Must put that on the todo list.