Running Maintenance Plan?

Options
Used to run when I was younger, but just got back into it with C25k which I completed at the end of March this year.

I have been working through a 8 week Hal Higdon beginner 8k program to increase mileage. It ends with about 10 miles/week (3 m, 2m, and 5m runs). I also lift weights 3 days a week.

I want to continue to run 3 days/week, but not necessarily train for a race. I am not sure I want to run too much longer than 5-7 miles for fear that it will interfere with my weight training.

Are there any plans published to just maintain or slightly increase mileage without actually training for a particular distance? Maybe that have some more variety of mileage than just doing 3, 2, 5 every week?

Replies

• cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Before I got into race training, I would just add about 10% of my total mileage per week (I usually added it to one of the runs so it became a "long run") to build mileage. Then I got hooked in racing and training and its been history since then. Just for the record, I run 30 miles a week usually (depending on where I am in a training cycle), weight train 3 days a week and take spin classes also and none of it interferes with each other but actually all compliment each other very well. I've built up to this but it can be done but work on building base mileage.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    How many times a week do you run to get in 30 miles? I really want to keep it to 3 times a week.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Used to run when I was younger, but just got back into it with C25k which I completed at the end of March this year.

I have been working through a 8 week Hal Higdon beginner 8k program to increase mileage. It ends with about 10 miles/week (3 m, 2m, and 5m runs). I also lift weights 3 days a week.

I want to continue to run 3 days/week, but not necessarily train for a race. I am not sure I want to run too much longer than 5-7 miles for fear that it will interfere with my weight training.

Are there any plans published to just maintain or slightly increase mileage without actually training for a particular distance? Maybe that have some more variety of mileage than just doing 3, 2, 5 every week?

Doesn't seem like you really need a published "plan" to accomplish what you want to do. You're running 3 miles, 2 miles and 5 miles each week now. Mix it up on your own. Increase you long run by about 10% a week but instead of always increasing, some weeks drop back to a shorter/earlier distance. When you drop back on your long run increase one of your mid-week runs, or not.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just go out for 45 mins three times a week. Simple as that.