Alcohol and Weight Loss

Options
I've been here long enough to know that the prevailing belief is calories in vs calories out. I've read many a thread stating that as long as factor alcohol into your calories in and they are less than your calories out, you will still be in a deficit and will still lose weight. My question is, since alcohol is processed by your liver and can effect your liver function, does that have an effect on how your body metabolizes food that may skew CiCo more than just the calories in the alcohol?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    For me, I feel like carp all day the next day. No exercise.
    For others, drinking does not affect them at all the next day.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Not really i mean i wouldn't weigh myself the next day but, it will work itself out.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    Not really i mean i wouldn't weigh myself the next day but, it will work itself out.

You're actually more likely to see apparent weight loss after a night of drinking, as alcohol can dehydrate you. It won't be actual fat loss though, the weight will come back as soon as you're rehydrated.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    srecupid wrote: »

You're actually more likely to see apparent weight loss after a night of drinking, as alcohol can dehydrate you. It won't be actual fat loss though, the weight will come back as soon as you're rehydrated.

Oh I have my big naglene bottle I make sure I finish before I go to bed. I like drinking but, not enough to *kitten* myself over for an entire day
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that every time iv lost a significant amount of weight....including this time (30lbs), iv never counted alcohol....alcohol is empty calories - as in zero fat or any other nutritional value....its the choices u make after the alcohol and the day after that determine wether those empty calories count. As long as your strict with the post alcohol cravings I think youll b fine. I quite often even lose more after a day on the booze lol......which isnt often btw x.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I read that once you've had any amount of alcohol your body stops metabolising fat until the alcohol is out of your system.
    It's the only reason I try to wait with having my one drink a night until an hour or two after dinner, in the hope that by then the fats from dinner have partly been processed so not all get stored until after the alcohol has left my system.

I've only been trying this a few days
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    kermax39 wrote: »
    I can honestly say that every time iv lost a significant amount of weight....including this time (30lbs), iv never counted alcohol....alcohol is empty calories - as in zero fat or any other nutritional value....its the choices u make after the alcohol and the day after that determine wether those empty calories count. As long as your strict with the post alcohol cravings I think youll b fine. I quite often even lose more after a day on the booze lol......which isnt often btw x.

Alcohol may be empty calories, but they are still calories and can add up quickly. I've lost over 90lbs and I still drink alcohol, but I've never ignored the calories. The average single alcohol/mixer drink contains 1.5 oz of hard liquor which is 96 calories. Again, that can add up quickly if you don't plan for it.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My alcohol tolerance is so low since I've been on keto, I really have to watch it or I will lose all judgment and drink way more than I intended. Then there's likely to be a 4 a.m. breakfast with all of the calories and I sleep all day the next day and get nothing done. So yeah, cutting way back over here pretty much out of necessity!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    bscmcse wrote: »
    I've been here long enough to know that the prevailing belief is calories in vs calories out. I've read many a thread stating that as long as factor alcohol into your calories in and they are less than your calories out, you will still be in a deficit and will still lose weight. My question is, since alcohol is processed by your liver and can effect your liver function, does that have an effect on how your body metabolizes food that may skew CiCo more than just the calories in the alcohol?

This is a great question. I believe it does. I wish I could explain it well.

I have lost weight while drinking in the past but I was in a very high deficit. Consuming alcohol within a small deficit seems to coincide with my weight loss plateaus. These days I seem to lose weight very easily when I've cut booze.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • rjqq1234
    rjqq1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bscmcse wrote: »

I'm a newbie here but I read an article about this on bodybuilding.com that might be helpful to you. https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/5-ways-alcohol-hinders-fat-loss.html?searchTerm=What does alcohol