For once and for all, can I get the info on sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar regardless of if it comes from fruit or soda. Also sugar doesn't directly effect weight loss.

And WW has a flawed system because you should keep track of the fruits and vegetables you eat because you could just eat fruits and veggies all day and if you're over maintenence you'd gain weight.

You're over thinking it. Staying within your calorie goals is all that's important.

That's a new one. Sugar from blueberries is the same as powdered sugar on a donut. Thanks for the head's up. And all this time I thought fruit was healthier than donuts. Silly me.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar regardless of if it comes from fruit or soda. Also sugar doesn't directly effect weight loss.

And WW has a flawed system because you should keep track of the fruits and vegetables you eat because you could just eat fruits and veggies all day and if you're over maintenence you'd gain weight.

You're over thinking it. Staying within your calorie goals is all that's important.

That's a new one. Sugar from blueberries is the same as powdered sugar on a donut. Thanks for the head's up. And all this time I thought fruit was healthier than donuts. Silly me.

What has the first one to do with the second one?
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    The reason people keep saying we should limit sugar is that we are a FAT country and we keep getting fatter. Table sugar gives you very little as nutrients go and is very high-cal. Sugar is added to a lot of packaged foods. For the average person, lowering their sugar will help them maintain or lose weight. It's also really difficult to get the nutrients you need when you aren't eating the foods that contain them. That's why people are saying, "Watch your sugar intake."

The thing is, sugar doesn't cause obesity, eating too many calories does.

Apparently not.

http://blogs.plos.org/publichealth/2014/01/13/worst-sugar/
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Digestion is complicated and unless you study it in depth, you won't understand it. Like everything else in the body, it doesn't work alone, so you need a little background in cells, histology and other organs in order to understand it. Almost 100% of the people who blab about it have no idea what they're talking about, so don't take what they say to heart. There is also the fact that different people have unique issues with their bodies, so there's that, too.

The reason people keep saying we should limit sugar is that we are a FAT country and we keep getting fatter. Table sugar gives you very little as nutrients go and is very high-cal. Sugar is added to a lot of packaged foods. For the average person, lowering their sugar will help them maintain or lose weight. It's also really difficult to get the nutrients you need when you aren't eating the foods that contain them. That's why people are saying, "Watch your sugar intake."

When the new food labels roll out, they'll be required to label how much of the sugar in a product is "added sugar," so people can (supposedly) see the difference. The only people who will see it are the ones reading the labels, though. Most of the people who could actually use it won't look.

When they tell you to limit sugar, they aren't suggesting that you cut back on fruits (or vegetables.) They're suggesting that you focus more on eating food that gives you the nutrients you need. I have no idea why they don't just say that, but they don't.

Focus on getting the nutrients you need and sugar will quickly become something you don't overeat.

Table sugar has 4 calories per gram. Same as protein and any other form of sugar. Less than half the amount of fat.
  • stevencloser
    Options

The thing is, sugar doesn't cause obesity, eating too many calories does.

Apparently not.

http://blogs.plos.org/publichealth/2014/01/13/worst-sugar/

A blog. Cool.
    Saying how much sugar is in tomato soup, forgetting how tomatoes have sugar in them themselves without needing to add any, and white bread that supposedly has a teaspoon of sugar in 2 slices which when crossreferenced with the cheapass stuff I use is over double the actual amount... and I'm good. It's trash.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    Beginning in 2018, nutrition labels will breakdown natural sugars and added sugars. There's a reason for that. The two are obviously not the same.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Beginning in 2018, nutrition labels will breakdown natural sugars and added sugars. There's a reason for that. The two are obviously not the same.

I was worried that this was what people were going to take away from that.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Added sugars are natural.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Of course fruits are healthier than donuts. Fruit has a lot more nutrients than a donut.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Really wish they'd do this in the UK. I wanted to buy some muesli and saw there was sugar in the ingredients as well as sugars from the fruit. I'd love to know how much sugar comes from the fruit and how much is added.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

I wasn't worried this was gonna happen, I knew without a shred of doubt that was gonna happen.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

I wasn't worried this was gonna happen, I knew without a shred of doubt that was gonna happen.

Same here.