TDEE - what to do with calorie amount when you have a lower exercise week?

Options
Hi
My TDEE is around 1800, give or take. I work out 5x per week. But there are some weeks when it is less ... which is rare. Example: this week, only 3x. On vacation, lots of walking but not nearly enough calories expending when doing cardio machines, etc. How do you work with less exercise and adjust your calories to meet that? Just lower your TDEE for that week? And how? Or do you just figure it's a light week, keep the TDEE amount, and figure it all works out when you are back on schedule? Would appreciate lots of feedback.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This is why I track my workouts individually instead of assuming they'll always be the same. In your case I'd say eat less to make up for the lighter activity, you'll have to guess how much.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you want to change up your TDEE for the week based on your changed exercise time you can just figure out the new number. Here's an article (which is great, but I'm including it because if you scroll down a bit it's got a TDEE calculator right in it and you can figure out what your TDEE would be for the week).
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/healthy-meal-planning-tips/

However, in my opinion (and that's all it is) I would think if you exercised as much as you could on vacation, ate healthy (with some indulgences) and then got right back on track the next week you'd be just fine! You would be surprised how many calories you'll burn by walking around all day. I know sometimes that's easier said than done if you've got a food addiction - sometimes not being so regimented for a week can spiral into two weeks, three, four.... If you need to have that control so you don't spiral, I'd calculate the new TDEE.

Best of luck and have a great vacation!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I generally don't change anything unless it's going to be a prolonged issue...

Also, while on vacation you might actually be surprised what all of that walking does from a calorie perspective. I just got back from 8 days in Colombia...we walked everywhere...I did zero deliberate exercise...lost 3 Lbs. Of course, their meals tend to be smaller than here in the States, and I didn't tend to do much snacking...but tons of walking does plenty.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. You are on vacation, just enjoy the time away. Make mostly healthy choices and evaluate when you get home. It you gain, cut some calories and/or increase activity. If you maintain or lose, it is all good B) Enjoy yourself!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Make good choices while on vacation... but be on vacation and stop mulling over calories... vacate from everything, so you come back a little bloated or maybe even up a pound or two...

If you worry about this, might as well stay home.. B)
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice, but I probably didn't make myself clear. I am not concerned about vacation and am not going on one for a few months. I actually do pretty well on vacation, and usually lose weight. I just gave it as an example of not working out as hard. Mostly, my question has to do with those weeks when the unexpected happens and suddenly I am down to 3 days a week instead of 5. It is rare that this happens for me, but it does. It would seem to me that this would throw off my TDEE? As @NorthCascades says, am I better just figuring out my workout calories on those days and then resuming TDEE for the next week? Or do I just stay on with my TDEE because it will all work out when the rest of the weeks go by?
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    Or do I just stay on with my TDEE because it will all work out when the rest of the weeks go by?

^^^^^^^^^
    This. This is exactly what the previous posters have been saying. Stay around TDEE and it will all average out in a short amount of time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice, but I probably didn't make myself clear. I am not concerned about vacation and am not going on one for a few months. I actually do pretty well on vacation, and usually lose weight. I just gave it as an example of not working out as hard. Mostly, my question has to do with those weeks when the unexpected happens and suddenly I am down to 3 days a week instead of 5. It is rare that this happens for me, but it does. It would seem to me that this would throw off my TDEE? As @NorthCascades says, am I better just figuring out my workout calories on those days and then resuming TDEE for the next week? Or do I just stay on with my TDEE because it will all work out when the rest of the weeks go by?

If you want to manage your calorie balance more precisely then you could do the MFP "eat back exercise calories method" instead.

The missing bit when people say TDEE method is "average" as TDEE varies every day.
    Up to you if you want to regard that as a weekly, monthly or whatever average and just accept your weight will fluctuate but if you have it estimated about right it will even out in the end.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If you want to manage your calorie balance more precisely then you could do the MFP "eat back exercise calories method" instead.

The missing bit when people say TDEE method is "average" as TDEE varies every day.
    Up to you if you want to regard that as a weekly, monthly or whatever average and just accept your weight will fluctuate but if you have it estimated about right it will even out in the end.

I do this all the time, I find I'm more mindful of whether or not I really hungry. I find when I don't exercise much I naturally want to eat less.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! So many good ideas. Maintenance is all about readustment sometimes and flexing other times. I can use your suggestions in different ways and like them. Appreciate it!!! Side note: I had posted on here in another discussion about trying to lose another 2 - 5 lbs. after all this time in maintenance. Many good thoughts were sent to me. I found that I was very hungry while trying to do this and that the effort for a few pounds did not outweigh (no pun intended) the discomfort. I went back to maintenance cals + gym cals, only I lowered my maintenance cals by about 150 cals. Voila! The weight is coming off ... and it's no discomfort at all!!!