Swimming benefits?

My job consists of sitting and standing. Not much lifting or walking. I can't afford the gym and have no time, I live in Phoenix and willing to walk for 60min a day.

I love swimming if I swim everyday could that make up for the exercise I don't get?

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Swimming is a great all-over exercise.

I miss having access to a pool.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    I'd wager there's a bid difference between my type of swimming, which is basically hanging around and splashing water, and swimming for exercise.

Does the swimming you plan to do get your heart rate elevate? If so, it's probably good cardio. But there's another benefit to walking - it's higher impact than swimming, and if you walk/jog safely, you help maintain or build tissue density in your legs, which is a big bonus if you're at a desk-bound job.

An alternative might be to go for a nice brisk walk for 30 minutes, and plan to use the last 30 minutes cooling down in the pool. I'd highly recommend a c25k (couch-2-5k) program to work jogging into the walk. The program will have you finish in roughly 1/2 hour each day, and the 5 minute cool-down at the end could easily be replaced with 30 minutes of stretching and swimming in the pool!
  • steadygirl06
    steadygirl06 Posts: 15 Member
    Swimming makes up most of my exercise. If you are pushing yourself it's a great exercise. I find swimming in an adult squad ie Masters is a great way to make sure i get a good workout
  • Fearfulowl25
    Fearfulowl25 Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2016
    Jogging sounds like a great add in, but due to a track and field injury I can't over work my foot too much, the weight that falls down on my foot from jogging is too much. Swimming laps and water aerobics don't seem to affect my foot as much.