Protein

Options
Arucard5
Arucard5 Posts: 39 Member
What's the difference between me eating chicken and me drinking a protein shake? I'm trying to gain muscle but also lose fat

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Chicken will keep you fuller longer. I usually do both. I get about 75g of protein from food daily and will drink a protein shake after my workout for another 30g.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    One is a waste product from cheese manufacture and the other hopefully ran about eating what it found. I don't touch whey anymore.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    protein shake = food supplement = supposedly to be used as an addition to your diet where ever food cannot reach.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Do you really have to ask?
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Both are complete proteins meaning they provide all the essential amino acids...so that's good. When comparing the value of proteins as far as how well they are used by the body, the egg is used as a protein by which all others are scored. In that respect the egg is given a score of 100 and whey is scored at 104 (so a little better at being used by the body) Chicken is scored at 80 or so...which is still really really good. Both chicken and whey are great sources.

Whey is just that....protein. If you buy it in the tub then you have to worry about what else is in there with it and how long it's been stored etc. which can affect its availability to the body. Chicken, aside from being a great source of protein, also provides other important nutrients like vitamin B and iron.

All in all, get your protein form real food...it's more fun and exciting than drinking a liquid and it's how you were meant to eat! Also, check to make sure you even need a supplement. MOST people already get enough protein for their body's needs and any extra is going to be stored as fat...that gooey stuff you say you want to get rid of.

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    MOST people already get enough protein for their body's needs and any extra is going to be stored as fat...that gooey stuff you say you want to get rid of.

Excess protein doesn't get stored as fat unless you're over on your calories.
  • mochachichi
    Options
    You would think so right Capaul....but your body can only use so much protein. The body will use exactly the amount it needs...no more and no less. Eating extra protein doesn't suddenly unleash a hidden mechanism in which protein gets used. The body will figure out if you are in a caloric deficit and can use protein as an energy source if you are not getting enough carbs or it will store it as fat or break down the amino acids as ketone bodies to be excreted. It's all pretty complicated but extra protein just doesn't sit around.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You would think so right Capaul....but your body can only use so much protein. The body will use exactly the amount it needs...no more and no less. Eating extra protein doesn't suddenly unleash a hidden mechanism in which protein gets used. The body will figure out if you are in a caloric deficit and can use protein as an energy source if you are not getting enough carbs or it will store it as fat or break down the amino acids as ketone bodies to be excreted. It's all pretty complicated but extra protein just doesn't sit around.

So @capaul42 is right, excess protein doesn't get stored as fat unless someone is over on calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    MOST people already get enough protein for their body's needs and any extra is going to be stored as fat...that gooey stuff you say you want to get rid of.

Excess protein doesn't get stored as fat unless you're over on your calories.

This is true! The body just does not store it because you ate 10 grams more of it.. If you go over your maintenance calories for the day in any macro it will store it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The amount needed varies from person to person especially if they want to maintain/build muscle.
  • mochachichi
    Options
    Not exactly what I meant Packerjohn. But let me ask you then...let's say your body needs 50 grams of protein to meet its needs for the day. You end up taking in 70 grams of protein. What do you think happens to the extra 20 grams? What do you think the body does with it?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Your body doesn't have a die hard limit on protein. If you eat more than the minimum required it will be used unless you eat in a calorie surplus than it will "turn to fat". If you eat 70 g (which is nowhere near eating too much protein) but only eat 1200 calories in total you won't gain fat.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Not exactly what I meant Packerjohn. But let me ask you then...let's say your body needs 50 grams of protein to meet its needs for the day. You end up taking in 70 grams of protein. What do you think happens to the extra 20 grams? What do you think the body does with it?

Assuming between protein, carb and fat intake I'm no exceeding my caloric needs, the 20 grams of protein will be used to fuel the body's activities and there will be not change in weight.
  • mochachichi
    Options
    Therein lies the myth...the body does have a die hard limit on protein. The body simply can only use so much protein and once it is done building all the enzymes, hormones and cell structures it needs, then it's done. Once the body builds all the proteins it needs to transport molecules around your body then it's done. Extra protein simply can't be used. Extra protein doesn't open up some special protein using factory that wasn't tapped into before.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    So are you saying you can eat less than 1000 calories and gain fat because you eat 50g of protein? Um ok. That has never happened to me but I lift so my protein requirement is higher than the average person which the minimum was designed for
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Your protein needs would be less, if you're a seasoned lifter. http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Therein lies the myth...the body does have a die hard limit on protein. The body simply can only use so much protein and once it is done building all the enzymes, hormones and cell structures it needs, then it's done. Once the body builds all the proteins it needs to transport molecules around your body then it's done. Extra protein simply can't be used. Extra protein doesn't open up some special protein using factory that wasn't tapped into before.

Facts and data to support?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    That link also says that there is nothing wrong with eating more protein and that it will be turned into energy. It doesn't say anything about if you eat more than 50g it will turn to fat
    Your protein needs would be less, if you're a seasoned lifter. http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Unless you've researched the particular brand of protein you are getting you may not be getting the protein intake you think you are, either because of exaggerated claims on the label or due to nitrogen spiking. I suppose chicken can also be contaminated, but that's the other thing to worry about, and it's worth researching your protein brand. My suggestion is that unless you need the shake for convenience or you just can't stomach eating chicken again, then get your protein from chicken. Use the shake as a back up. You can always also eat egg whites and/or white fish as high protein content foods.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    That link also says that there is nothing wrong with eating more protein and that it will be turned into energy. It doesn't say anything about if you eat more than 50g it will turn to fat

That website also doesn't account for the variance among individuals and age. I think they make a great general point (0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight is probably plenty for most people), but lose necessary detail in the process. There's a real question as to protein intake above that threshold and given my age and my personal experience I do eat more. There's no harm in that and protein is very satieating.