Do you weigh more than you look

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    In well fitting clothes I weigh more than I look. In ill fitting clothes I look more than I weigh.
  • protoplasmica
    protoplasmica Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Am 5 5 and 80kg and am pear shaped/heavy bottomed. Wear a UK size 14 but sometimes a 12. I have a tiny waist in comparison with the rest of me & am relatively toned, so it fools the eye into thinking I'm smaller than I am.
  • krziskecm
    krziskecm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing...no matter hoe much weight i gain...everyone thinks im 20 lbs lighter.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It could be just how you hold your weight im 5'7" and weigh 140lbs and youre wearing smaller clothes than i am. Its amazing how different bodies are.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    If I guess someone's weight - and I have no idea why I would - I am definitely not saying what I ACTUALLY think they weigh! Better to "guess" low than to have them pissed when you're right or higher than their weight. You're just asking for trouble to tell the truth with that!

I'm gonna second this. People are sensitive about their weight. I never comment on people's weights or guess what they weigh unless they really ask. Even then, I'd likely shoot low just not to offend someone.

Yeah. Same thing with age. People always say a number lower than they think to make you feel better.
  • protoplasmica
    protoplasmica Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    It could be just how you hold your weight im 5'7" and weigh 140lbs and youre wearing smaller clothes than i am. Its amazing how different bodies are.

I think people who weight train/climb like I do tend to be heavier but more toned than people who do just aerobic/cardio exercise. Or at least that's what I've observed. I'm not too fussed at the scale right now - happy with gradual weight loss. Aiming for 74ish so I can get down to a size 10/12.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If I guess someone's weight - and I have no idea why I would - I am definitely not saying what I ACTUALLY think they weigh! Better to "guess" low than to have them pissed when you're right or higher than their weight. You're just asking for trouble to tell the truth with that!

I do think in general this is what happens. That and people are just lousy at guessing weight.

In my job I have to ask people's weight. I play a game where I guess in my head and see how close I was. There was one time where a woman was smaller than me, both shorter and thinner. I tend to weigh on the heavy side even when lean. She said she weighed more than I did. There is no way I would have guessed her at that, and I'm pretty good at the game. I did tell her (in a nice way) that that I was surprised by her weight.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    No. Except for people who don't understand that tall women weigh more. I look at least my weight, maybe heavier?

At 5'9" 136lb now I am about 35-29-37, 22" thighs, I think most women with my mass and height and bodyfat would look smaller. Maybe that's delusional but I don't think so. Probably light bones from misspent youth.

Maybe you are right about curvy able to hide more weight. I am not ever curvy at any weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people are surprised if they find out that I'm around 182...most guys my height would look a little chubby at that weight but I'm about 12% BF so pretty lean so I don't fit the bill.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have an invisible tail

ded
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    BMI is silly, Mine is 25 and just in the overweight range. My defined six pack is gone because bulking but overweight is ridiculous.

People also think that I'm lighter too, by about 20lbs. Muscle is heavy. I take it as a compliment.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I weigh a lot for a girl as it is! I weigh nearly as much as some guys! I run a lot but I don't think I have much muscle. I was took a body fat % test with a fitness instructor; it put me as 29% which is in the normal range for a woman.

I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself against what you imagine other people weigh (or even what they tell you). If you feel good and like the way you look, then who cares what other magic number other people weigh?

If it helps at all, I'm a couple of centimetres shorter than you at 169cm and currently weigh around 72kg, I am surprised that I'm in UK size 12 now. I'm aiming for 69kg to match my centimetres over a metre! Though we'll see. I think my clothes hide a multitude of sins and I know what flatters me, so I think others might guess my weight lower than it is.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You are dealing with people's perceptions in a society where 40% of people are "obese". If you are merely "overweight" you are strikingly puny by comparison.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would probably be way off when guessing your weight because I am much shorter than you and only semi-accurately judge people who are a similar height. Tall people look thinner at much higher weights (and clothing sizes) than I do!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Because I've been super heavy - 235 lbs and really thin (135) for my height (5'9"), I am usually pretty spot on when estimating weight.

However, I do agree that people who have not struggled with weight issues are really clueless. =P
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started at 310 ppl r shocked. They say they'll have me max at 200. I think it's when someone carrys their weight well and it's proportioned all over.
  • sefonxo
    sefonxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I (at least, I think) look like I weigh less than I actually do. I am taller than average (5'9) and most of my weight gain goes toward my lower body which is a blessing lol.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh more than you look?

No idea ... no one has ever guessed my weight.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think I look less. I am 5'4 and a shameful 160 pounds. I have gained about 30 pounds in the last 6 months. I feel like I look about 140 but my clothes don't show that!
    Working on getting back on track after a TON of stressful situations the last year or so. I am sick of it and tired of my clothes not fitting and feeling bad about myself. And this time my husband is on board with me this time. He has a good 30 lbs to lose also.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    This might help ... a little exercise to help see what you really look like ...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10268800/perception/p1