Replies

• shortvixen09
    shortvixen09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds great guys!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Kind of both. I watch my calories very strictly because I am most interested in maintaining my weight since I just went back on maintenance after a re-gain/re-lose. I try to make sure I get at least 80g of protein a day because that's what my surgeon told me I needed after my WLS. I noticed a couple months ago that I tend to eat really low fat. Probably because it's lower calorie. Now that I've moved my calories up some, I have been making an effort to get enough fat in my day. I take a hand-full of various vitamins to make sure I'm meeting any other nutritional deficiencies. I'm an extremely picky eater & have my vitamin panels checked every 3 months.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Both although to begin with I only was concerned about calories...then when I got closer to goal and loss slowed off I realised that macros actually did make a difference.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Control calories for weight loss. Control sodium for scale consistency. Care about carbs, protein, fat as necessary for various health and fitness goals.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Both but mainly calories and carbs.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Both...
  • cbeau1991
    cbeau1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I track calories, and also vitamin C and iron because I'm anemic and I don't love feeling constantly tired.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just curious to see if people only track calories or all nutrients. I keep an eye on them all but I only see people talk about calories. What do you do?

When I started I was focusing primarily on calories, but the last few days I've been keeping a close eye on my sodium and sugar. The sodium because I like my salty snacks and still eat fast food from time to time, so it's a serious concern, and sugars because although I've been able to maintain excellent sugar levels for years despite my weight, diabetes runs in my family and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I need to start keeping an eye on my iron again though, as it's been a problem since I was 12-13.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight maintenance
    Carbs and fiber to calculate my insulin doses.
    Protein and fat for satiety (and partially for my insulin doses if I take additional insulin to cover for protein raising BG or extending how long my insulin is infused to account for fat delaying carb digestion and absorption).
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I tracked calories and exercise activities (via Fitbit Charge HR) for weight loss, including macros. I always aim to stick to a 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carb ratio, erring on more protein and fat vs. carb.

I am new to maintenance and in the process of finding new fitness and nutrition goals. As part of that, I got the cronometer app and periodically go in and log my foods there, too. It has a much wider range of nutrition metrics - all of the B vitamins, omegas 3 and 6, vitamins, minerals (I track a few - e.g. potassium and magnesium), a dozen types of protein thingies, if you care. I care, because I've got chronic RA and several deficiencies associated with the disease and meds, e.g. Vitamin D.

It was interesting because I eat very healthy, whole foods - but had big gaps I wasn't aware of. My B12, Vitamin E and potassium were very low, for example.

I like many of the cronometer features - its curated, USDA-based food database, expanded scope of nutrition metrics, interface. I may eventually track exclusively on that platform.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Calories, macros, then micros, in that order.