Sharing the mfp wisdom

A couple of weeks ago I met up with an ex-colleague who last saw me when I was about 40lb fatter. Her first comment was "oh my god, you're tiny! What have you done!" And she wanted the full details on how I'd done it.

The whole time we worked together she had tried several methods to lose weight but nothing really stuck. Paleo, low carb, no sugar, crazy amounts of exercise, slimming world etc. (I'm not saying none of them work, but they weren't sustainable for her, for whatever reason.)

We spent a while discussing diets, the psychological aspect of food (we worked together in mental health services so this is something that interests us both) and I dispelled a few diet myths that various people had told her. No, sugar doesn't make you fat, calories do. Carbs aren't evil, if you like toast for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch then go for it. Yes, you can still have wine.

Today, I got a message saying she's 4lb down and is amazed! I'm so so happy for her!

Has anyone else shared their mfp wisdom? Has seeing you lose weight made family and friends say 'I want me some of that'?

Replies

• DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Great story! I have shared my success with what I've learned here and what I did that has worked for me, but none have even tried using MFP as a tool as a result. Like many, they come up with excuses as to why it wouldn't work for them or how they couldn't do it.

But then again, there are some friends on my friend list here who seem to have plenty of excuses themselves. Can't stick to anything and can't commit for much longer than a few days at a stretch. Their results speak for themselves.

So, has it made them say "I want me some of that?" - Yes. Has anyone ever done it? - Unfortunately no.

Great job on your 40lb loss!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Trying to get my friend to join up. I'm certified as a PT (no longer employed as one), and inevitably, friends and acquaintances want me to work for them for free. I spent about three hours the other night explaining calorie goals and activity levels, even did the math for her. I played around with my own MFP account and gave her a full day's meal plan within her calories and macros. Just to show her how beneficial MFP is. She still hasn't signed up though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    No. No one listens to me.

me either.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    No. No one listens to me.

me either.

Nor me... in the office I work in, sugar is the root of all evil and one of the women has just done a juice cleanse.... :huh: :noway:
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    oh thank the lawrd it's not just me!!! after losing 80+ I get countless compliments and when i SHARE THE SECRET, they just seemed so let down, how could I not really tell them how I did it, no, seriously, just MFP and count the calories..... I'm glad I found the light, hoping to guide one in eventually.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,509 Member
    Nope. Not a one. Strangely enough, it seems the more success I have the more people attribute it to a fluke or something. I am part of group of women involved in a particular sport. I lost weight. Three more of them want to. So, what did they do? One found an exercise DVD and they are all doing it. Then they preach to me about my diet. It's bizarre. It's like their women's magazines have more credibility than my real-life results.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I started using mfp January 25 and started gushing about my early weight losses to my workplace compadres. One of them, a 30-odd father of a young child who weighed 280 immediately joined mfp along with his wife and he's lost about 20 lb so far. Another, a 60-some diabetic Vietnamese woman decided to cut out rice and lose 5 lb in her own method, and she did. She had a lot of overnight oatmeal and tasty salads, and drank a lot of water. Another, a 30-some mother of 3 heard my rantings and decided to return to using the mfp app to try once again to get rid of those 12 lb above hotness, and she DID IT. Two of my bosses are trying and getting some progress with trimming a few lb without using mfp. The hot chick is also the girl Friday who buys the kitchen junk and she's keeping us all well supplied with good stuff like Kind bars, Thin Addictives, fresh fruit, Oreo 2-packs, and cheese sticks. The rest of the crew are coincidentally either eating their own healthy meals or snacking on the good stuff. So, yes, I think I've spread the wisdom.