Liquid Diets

Options
Hello,

What is your opinion on liquid diets? Do you think they can be successful? Why or Why not?

Replies

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    NOOOO you need food for those lovely teeth to chew, and IMO you cannot sustain the weight loss.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I've done them in the past and it isn't sustainable (for me). I died for something to chew. Better to eat real whole food in moderation. So no, for me personally, not successful.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    For medical reasons they can be helpful if you can't digest or swallow solid food but that doesn't apply to most people here
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A liquid diet doesn't teach you about moderation or healthy eating
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If you're in a hospital setting or have no teeth then I'm sure they are life saving. Otherwise, no. Unless you plan on liquid diet for the rest of your days on earth, it's not the best solution for long term adherence. Not successful.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    you can use liquids to boost your nutrition, for example, a protein shake if you're not meeting your goals, but it's not sustainable or healthy to live off liquids. You will end up with severe constipation from lack of fibre, as well as bad skin, nausea, bad hair and nails etc etc.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Well, if someone likes it and wants to eat in such way for ever then sure... however I don't think many would like such a way of eating. Losing weight in any way that is way outside your norm is not sustainable...it won't teach you portion control. The moment you get back to solid food and your old ways the weight is coming back on - plus a few extra pounds because guess what...after all that liquid pizza tastes extra good...and you deserve it because you've been so good and suffer through liquid hell... It's just a bad idea...diets don't work...you need to make a change that will last a lifetime - that's why it's best to stick with what you like, try to introduce healthier choices (that you enjoy) when possible and learn portion control. It's easy! I've been losing weight without any problems and for instance today I ate my favorites...lasagnas and coke (real one :D ) ..yesterday I had ice cream...no need to suffer :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the appeal of them is anyway. I have been on liquid diets (clear, normal with support of tpn and also ensure) but they were because my Crohn's was really bad at the time. I was counting down the days until I could eat food! It is horrible
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Boring and unrealistic. I can't even imagine myself going out for a "pizza party" and whipping out my green shake... I refuse to deliberately torture myself for no good reason.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. Eating real food teaches you the right portions of real food. You can't stay on a liquid diet forever. I drink my breakfast but that's only because I hate eating in the morning and I need something in my belly before I go to the gym. That's a practical decision, not a diet decision.

Buy a food scale. Eat real food. Log it. Success.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If someone cannot eat, it would be a good substitute. For people who are serious about wanting to lose a lot of weight, it won't work. They will eventually tire of the diarrhea and begin eating. If it's someone who gains and loses the same 5-10 pounds over and over and likes to do all the different fad diets, it could work briefly.
  • MiryaG1
    MiryaG1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

What is your opinion on liquid diets? Do you think they can be successful? Why or Why not?

Liquid Diets can definitely be good for weight loss but as another member mentioned, you have to teach yourself portion control for when you go into maintainence or stop the LD. I do not personally recommend strict long term LD'ing. Your body is designed to have solid food so at least one meal a day should be a solid food meal.

What I do is 7 shakes/snacks throughout the day and an evening meal consisting of 8oz of cooked meat with 2 cups of veggies.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lot's of people have had success on shake diets, and can be helpful for the morbidly obese. I have the occasional shake for breakfast or on the run, depending on the brand it's nice for a change, and you don't really have to think about it. Each to their own. There is lots of people on here who have had similar success through counting calories and eating real food. The weight loss can be huge on liquid diets however this is mostly water weight and dies off over a few weeks. I have had success previously on Optifast, 2 shakes and a low carb meal for dinner. Lost 10kg (22lbs) in about 3 weeks, but it didn't last. It's true what people say about changing your ways and lifestyle. Good luck either way :)

• WildroseMom89
    WildroseMom89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love having a breakfast smoothie in the morning, it's quick, easy, and healthy. I use vega one protein powder, chia seeds, almond milk or soy milk and fresh fruit. The rest of the day is healthy options like turkey wraps for lunch with a little bit of hummus, lots of veggies, fruit, boiled eggs, and etc.