Keto Rash or Poison Ivy?

I've been on keto for a week and also went hiking last weekend and have developed a very itchy rash.. It's splotchy and scaly and very random. I don't really know if it's poison ivy or keto rash because every morning a new patch pops up and I wonder how in the world I got poison ivy there? Does keto rash resemble poison ivy?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    See a doctor. Could be poison ivy, could be a generic rash, could be something more serious. Get an actual diagnosis, not Google/forum theories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Were you around poison ivy? It transfers from item to item.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yes. If you came into contact with it, the oil can transfer from your clothes to anything else it touches. I got it from handling a bag that touched poison ivy. My husband got it days later from handling the liner to my car's trunk, where the bag had been.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

Yes. If you came into contact with it, the oil can transfer from your clothes to anything else it touches. I got it from handling a bag that touched poison ivy. My husband got it days later from handling the liner to my car's trunk, where the bag had been.

Yikes!! Poison ivy is the devil!!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

Yikes!! Poison ivy is the devil!!

Yes. His was awful. He ended up with whatever steroid shot, cream, and pills they give you. I was kind of hoping for a cartoonish Incredible Hulk transformation moment to occur but, alas, it never did.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Poision ivy is the devil and I sure would have not waited days to get that looked at. I quick trip to The-Doc-In-The-Box and a 35 dollar co pay would have put my mind at ease..

I second a doctors opinion.. but have you tried selenium sulfide (obviously not or you would not be here looking for a diagnosis... duh me)..
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I had a terrible time with poison ivy rashes all last summer with very minimal exposure so it is possible in my itchy experience.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Devil in the flesh!!!!

qckqmirny4hu.jpg
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Devil in the flesh!!!!

qckqmirny4hu.jpg

Worst is when it decides to grow amongst other ivy, somewhat blending in with the other leaves. We have ivy growing against the one retaining wall near my apartment building and if you look closely you can see the poison ivy camouflaged with the other leaves. Makes for a nasty mistake if you brush up against it.

Poison ivy is can be really troublesome because the oil (urushiol)that causes the reaction can last on clothing, objects and pets for a very long time. If you have it on an object or clothing and touch it again, you can be unknowingly reexposing yourself. A lot of people have the misconception that poison ivy is contagious if the blisters break because of this. No, it will not spread of blisters break. If you are getting more rashes it is either because that area of skin took longer to react (can take 72 hours after contact) or you are reexposing yourself.

Side note-if you get severe reactions to poison ivy, be careful with mangos. The mango plant leaves, stems, sap and skin also contain urushiol and therefore will also cause a reaction.
  • amobailar
    amobailar Posts: 7 Member
    Oh my goodness, I didn't realize the oil from poison ivy was so transferable. I was climbing over boulders while hiking and there were green plants but I honestly didnt pay attention to them; I was paying more attention to my footing. Guess I'll pay more attention now. Lol. I would go to the doctor but it's too expensive right now so unless this rash gets more serious or doesn't go away in the next week or so, I will just wait it out for now.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Wait, there's a keto rash? Why would anyone follow a diet that is know to cause a rash? This sounds strange to me. I know this sounds judgmental. I've never heard of keto rash before, but I haven't really looked at the diet because it doesn't appeal to me.

OP, I hope you are feeling better soon, regardless of cause.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Wait, there's a keto rash? Why would anyone follow a diet that is know to cause a rash? This sounds strange to me. I know this sounds judgmental. I've never heard of keto rash before.

Many people who try Keto never experience a rash. Only a small percentage of people who try Keto get a rash but when you drastically change your gut biome going from one way of eating which your body is used to, to something very different and extreme, sometimes it takes your body a while to adjust and sometimes that adjustment period has unfortunate symptoms. People's bodies are different so no two people experience the same thing.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    See also: poison oak. Gets very "weepy" and is harder on the skin than poison ivy from what I've seen. I also don't react to poison ivy, for whatever reason. Kinda funny, since I'm allergic to most skin creams and cosmetics. :tongue:
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    I've got poison oak all over my ankles, and I was super-careful to stick to the middle of the trail. :( It's that time of year, I'm afraid.
    But always good to see a doc just to confirm. If nothing else, you can get a cortisone shot to clear it up!