Aldi's?

Options

Replies

• racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I went once and probably won't go again, lol. Produce wasn't cheaper and was average quality, selection was poor, and everything else looked like cheap knock-offs!

I admit I'm puzzled by all the Aldi's love.

I feel the same way about the one by me. It's filthy and the quality of the produce is poor at best. I'll never go again I was so grossed out.

But when I lived in Alabama the local Aldi was awesome. I guess it depends on the location and how the store is run.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I went once and probably won't go again, lol. Produce wasn't cheaper and was average quality, selection was poor, and everything else looked like cheap knock-offs!

I'm not sure about the US, but in Germany many of those knock-off products are from exactly the same factory as the expensive brands.

I've heard that from several managers I know quite well at my Trader Joe's here. I'm in the US and they shared a few products such as Trader Joe's brand Pita Chips are actually Stacey's brand Pita chips.

There's others but my mind draws a blank at the moment. I know Con-Agra is behind many of their frozen foods... that's not been good more recently as there's been HUGE recalls in the US regarding products made and packaged from that company.

• Hearts_2015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips you Aldi Veteran you!! :D@WindSparrow

My pleasure! I do so much of my shopping at Aldi that I look for purses that have enough compartments and pockets have one little pocket specifically to keep a quarter in so I always have it ready. You should have seen my cranky face the day I fumbled putting my quarter into its little zipper pocket and it fell into the depths of my car :cold_sweat:

Sometimes it is fun to leave the quarter in the cart on purpose, as a tiny little gift for the next person. In this ugly old world, sometimes little smiles mean a lot.

Love this idea!! : <3 I'd love to find you shopping in my Aldi's and pass by you in the store as you stopped to spill all the awesome Aldi's secrets. :laugh: I appreciate the ones shared up to this point! ;)@WindSparrow
  • Hearts_2015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Their face creams are good, and cheap.

I gave Aldi yet another shot the other day. I left with my face cream, butter and eggs (which are microscopically small), and that's it. Nothing much else appealed to me, other than the fruit and veg which was marginally cheaper than my regular grocery store. I only buy meat from a butcher, so didn't check out their meat section.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm a grocery store snob :worried:

I gave Aldi yet another shot the other day. I left with my face cream, butter and eggs (which are microscopically small), and that's it. Nothing much else appealed to me, other than the fruit and veg which was marginally cheaper than my regular grocery store. I only buy meat from a butcher, so didn't check out their meat section.

Haha, I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I will have to check out their face cream! You have beautiful skin! Is it a certain brand that they sell? Do you use any other product besides what you buy from Aldi?

:blush:

I'm in Australia, so not sure if we all have the same stuff. I use"Lacura renew expert day cream". I make my own face/body scrub made out of a mix of coconut oil and sugar which i use everyday, other than that I don't use anything.
    I don't know if it makes a difference but i have never, ever worn foundation or powder or anything like that, I can't stand the feel of it on my face.

That's great! You look beautiful without makeup! Must be Australia and good genes. :smile:
    I just found the Lacura renew day cream and night cream at our Aldi's here in the US. Yay! Can't wait to try it and maybe I too, can have beautiful skin like you!

I totally agree, Christine is very beautiful! I'm glad you asked her about her skincare and you found it in the US. Now I'm going to see if they have any at my Aldi's.

Yes Christine I'm picking up some too so I'll have lovely skin like you as well. :) Now will this also make my hair look like yours as well? ;)

@Christine_72
    @Losewtforlife4him
  • Hearts_2015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Aldi Lacura Skincare Review - YouTube

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJigbtPu_PY&quot;
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Haha, I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I will have to check out their face cream! You have beautiful skin! Is it a certain brand that they sell? Do you use any other product besides what you buy from Aldi?

I'm in Australia, so not sure if we all have the same stuff. I use"Lacura renew expert day cream". I make my own face/body scrub made out of a mix of coconut oil and sugar which i use everyday, other than that I don't use anything.
    I don't know if it makes a difference but i have never, ever worn foundation or powder or anything like that, I can't stand the feel of it on my face.

That's great! You look beautiful without makeup! Must be Australia and good genes. :smile:
    I just found the Lacura renew day cream and night cream at our Aldi's here in the US. Yay! Can't wait to try it and maybe I too, can have beautiful skin like you!

I totally agree, Christine is very beautiful! I'm glad you asked her about her skincare and you found it in the US. Now I'm going to see if they have any at my Aldi's.

Yes Christine I'm picking up some too so I'll have lovely skin like you as well. :) Now will this also make my hair look like yours as well? ;)

@Christine_72
    @Losewtforlife4him

LOL you guys. I have never given my skin or hair a second thought until now.

I honestly have not looked after my skin very well at all in the past. It's only been the last couple of years that i've started paying attention to the products i use.
    There are 2 things I have however always used religiously over the years, and they are vitC and gelatin/collagen. It could be these 2 things have made a positive difference mixed with good genes, my mum has velvet smooth skin.

I use this Aussie product http://gelatinhealth.com.au/ . You guys in the US have a comparable product... Great Lakes gelatin http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options

@Christine_72
    @Losewtforlife4him

I honestly have not looked after my skin very well at all in the past. It's only been the last couple of years that i've started paying attention to the products i use.
    There are 2 things I have however always used religiously over the years, and they are vitC and gelatin/collagen. It could be these 2 things have made a positive difference mixed with good genes, my mum has velvet smooth skin.

I use this Aussie product http://gelatinhealth.com.au/ . You guys in the US have a comparable product... Great Lakes gelatin http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/

Thanks so much! See, I'm not the only one who thinks you look great! :smile:
    What kind of Vitamin C do you use? A supplement or is it an oil for your skin? Thanks for your skin/hair secrets! Oh and what kind of shampoo/conditioner do you use? Is this your natural color or do you color it blonde? I have highlighted hair so always like to know what other blondes use. Thanks again!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@Christine_72
    @Losewtforlife4him

Thanks so much! See, I'm not the only one who thinks you look great! :smile:
    What kind of Vitamin C do you use? A supplement or is it an oil for your skin? Thanks for your skin/hair secrets! Oh and what kind of shampoo/conditioner do you use? Is this your natural color or do you color it blonde? I have highlighted hair so always like to know what other blondes use. Thanks again!

I use vitC tablets. I use a purple shampoo and conditioner from my hairdresser. Supermarket stuff turns my hair into straw! My natural colour is a mousy blonde, I get a few streaks put in to take away that gold/yellow colour.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I do love Aldi. Yes, their shops are not posh, but I don't need a posh shop to buy necessities. The local fruit and veggie stall market doesn't look posh either. There's only one type of tinned tomatoes? Why would you need several brands of the same. This both, and buying huge quantities of a limited number of products from one manufacturer is how they keep their prices low. Works for me. Besides, with less choice and a fairly small shop shopping is much faster. In and out in 10-15 minutes for the big weekend groceries in unbeatable.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A lot of Lidl's tricks probably apply to Aldi, too. I bought some breaded fish there and thought it was a funny shape (like a chicken Kiev) but it tasted really good. I checked the back of the pack and it was actually Young's (a good brand of frozen fish here). Pretty sure what they were doing was getting Young's to turn their offcuts into patties and then putting their own brand on them. They weren't like "reformed" fillets, either, it was quite nice big chunks smooshed together. So the manufacturer sells the trimmings for more than usual, the store gets cheap fish to sell and I get good tasty fish for cheap. Everyone's a winner.

That's the kind of thing they're doing, and for the most part the result is cheap and cheerful rather than cheap and nasty.

Shocked that there are grubby Aldi's in the USA, I've never seen that here. A bit chaotic sometimes but never dirty. Sounds like they're not keeping a close enough eye on their local managers.

ETA I've also seen Aldi selling remaindered chickens! No joke. They all had the same packaging but you could tell by looking at them that some were corn fed and others weren't, and generally they weren't uniform at all. My guess is they were buying up farmers' excess stock from supermarket contracts, or something of that sort - a hundred chickens here, fifty there, all unmatched but damn good (they were free range). I love the thought of that as there is too much food waste and anything that reduces it is good by me. Especially if I get a cheap corn feed free range chook out of it!

On the same note, Lidl were at one point selling a famous Speyside single malt under their own brand at like £12 a bottle, as the distillery had gone bust and they bought up the stock. Whisky enthusiasts' forums were going mad for it. That sort of thing all adds to the fun!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about the one by me. It's filthy and the quality of the produce is poor at best. I'll never go again I was so grossed out.

But when I lived in Alabama the local Aldi was awesome. I guess it depends on the location and how the store is run.

The quality does vary greatly from location to location it seems, I've been to a couple that were truly frightening. Thankfully the one near me is great, I shop there all the time.
  • rph2t
    rph2t Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love getting canned goods there. Beans, tomatoes, etc. Their canned salmon and tuna is also the cheapest I've ever found.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt mainly.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    AmandaIsherwood3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here in Cheshire England Aldi is the first shop I go to when doing my weekly shopping, I buy most of my stuff from there apart from odd toiletries. I'm not sure if its in every Aldi where they do the super 6 on fresh fruit and veg sometimes from as little as 29p each week and offers on different fresh meat items. This week i got bananas, pears, peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes all at 69p, I get all my other fruit and veg there. My children love their chocolate bars (my daughters says the racer bars taste the same as a snicker) and crisps. I like their cereal bars, 65 calories probably the same carbs as other brands but they have 5g of fibre in each one, I like these as a quick fibre fix if I'm low for the day without adding to many calories. The do some lovely vegetable tarts, £1.25 for 2 only 300 calories, and so delicious, sliced meats, cheeses, even their frozen range is lovely. My friend says she really like their soft drinks, energy drinks and alcohol, I don't drink any off those things so cant say what they are like. I get my washing tablets and fabric softener from there, much better than named brand detergents. So far the only thing that we found not to be any good was the deodorant, my daughter (13) said she didn't feel very fresh after using it after pe class.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Aldis is hit or miss here.

I check produce carefully and sometimes end up with a lot and sometimes none.

I can get meat cheaper at our IGA store. And fresher.

Their greek yogurt - some is good and some has a very odd chalky consistency. I checked ingredients and couldn't tell what might be causing that since I noted no thickeners.

I love their brand of a laughing cow type cheese spread. It's much cheaper, only 25 calories, and tastes just as good. Other cheeses have decent prices too.

Salad dressing - specifically fit n active - gross beyond gross.

Eggs super cheap. Bread too. And chips. Kids haven't complained about the chips so I assume they're okay.

I buy stiff like chipotle peppers, refried beans, few other canned specialty items and they are cheap and taste is good.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    rph2t wrote: »
    I love getting canned goods there. Beans, tomatoes, etc. Their canned salmon and tuna is also the cheapest I've ever found.

Thank you, good to know!
  • ValkyrieLula
    ValkyrieLula Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We get produce regularly since it's good quality and reasonably priced compared to elsewhere that we get groceries. Our big thing to grab there is their Frut flavored waters. I personally don't enjoy the taste of regular bottled water unless I'm actually working out and "just want water". But I can drink Frut with no issues, and for a case of it, the price is significantly cheaper than buying name-brands.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Coffee :D
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Non food stuff can be worth a look, too, I've got some kids' shoes that have done well, they wear out obviously but only at about the same speed as they are outgrown! Especially the winter snow boots have been good. And I got a two-compartment slow cooker pot! It's meant to be for their own brand but it fits my CrockPot.

Non food is a lottery, basically everything is limited time only and there's no guarantee you'll ever see it again! But that's all part of the thrill.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Non food stuff can be worth a look, too, I've got some kids' shoes that have done well, they wear out obviously but only at about the same speed as they are outgrown! Especially the winter snow boots have been good. And I got a two-compartment slow cooker pot! It's meant to be for their own brand but it fits my CrockPot.

Non food is a lottery, basically everything is limited time only and there's no guarantee you'll ever see it again! But that's all part of the thrill.

I love this part of Aldi's. Every week is a surprise. I once got a HRM for $10 and it worked as well as my Polar.