Hi, I'm Carmen

Options
Hello friends,

I have been a yo-yo dieter since high school. I'm 54 and sooooo tired of life passing me by. In January 2013 I had an "awakening". I had my labs drawn and discovered that I was pre-diabetic. I've had high blood pressure for the last three years. Enough, was enough. I did not make the typical New Year's resolution to lose weight, I started a weight reduction program to decrease my blood pressure and I did not want to become a diabetic. Good grief, I'm a health professional I should know better!! Well, since January I've lost 16lbs, have been walking 3 miles/day and weight lifting. All was going well until Mother's Day. I started my morning walk and as I walked down the street I had a sharp pain in the back of my knee. Well long story short, I had a torn meniscus and had to stop the walking but continued to work out my upper body. I had surgery to repair the torn meniscus and will start physical therapy next week. I can't wait to start walking again and getting my daily endorphins!! It has been a challenge to lose weight and even more of a challenge when you are in your 50's. I'm looking forward to MFP helping me track my food intake and fitness as I continue on my "optimum health" and weight loss journey. Thank you for letting me tell my story. Good luck to all of you!!