HOW ACCURATE IS THE EXCERCISE CALORIES?

Options
13»

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    why is it people are so quick to point out what they perceive as incorrect, all caps, instead of focusing on the topic. peace! j
    Because they are insecure, enjoy drama and have to find fault in others to build themselves up. Don't cha' know? lol

No worries. Who really cares.

As far as work out calories none if it is 100% I have a Fitbit Charge HR, a Map My Run Heart Rate Monitor, a Polar HRM and a Garmin HRM. I've tested all of them and for me the Fitbit Charge HR is the least accurate for Heart Rate not showing high enough HR. The Map My Run is way too high and the Garmin and Polar are about the same. So for me I go off either the Polar or Garmin.

thank you, my thoughts exactly, i have said i get it over and over, but the comments still keep coming. as i can not afford gizmos i will just go with a low estimate and hope for the best. have a judge free day, little kindness goes a long way, thank you! jennifer
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    Jtreuth wrote: »
    When I used my Fitbit to count my calories, they were across the board lower than MFP no matter what work out I did, but by the end of the day I was about equal in over all calorie burn. I assume this is because Fitbit counts your calories all day long (getting up to go to the bathroom, walking from the car to your door, etc) where as MFP does not. The calories you start off at the beginning of the day are enough to lose weight if you do not move. So, MFP's over estimation of calorie burn isn't harmful. If you use it as a rough guide line (as you really should take everything about fitness and losing weight with a grain of salt as every BODY is different) then you will be successful. Promise.

thank you!! jennifer
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I got myself a chest heart rate monitor and per that MFP overestimates my calories burned from cardio but underestimates for strength training type stuff.. I don't know if there are more accurate online calculators if you really want more accurate numbers maybe grab a heart rate monitor

HRM with Chest straps are only accurate for steady state cardio..not weight lifting.

OP For me the exercise calories from MFP were spot on...

thanks, i guess if i go with the low side i will be pleasantly surprised! thanks again j
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif

everyone notices the caps, but no one notices i said " i get it" . 5 times or more.

Then quit insinuating that people were being mean or rude ;)
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    anchorman-i-dont-know-what.gif

everyone notices the caps, but no one notices i said " i get it" . 5 times or more.

Then quit insinuating that people were being mean or rude ;)

that was not my point, if it bothers you that is your issue not mine. i just found it interesting how people are more interested in pointing out what they perceive to be improper , but don't even notice what i am asking. Peace! where did i insinuate someone was rude? it really is such a small thing, i have long since moved on. no more caps, got it. peace please!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    i want to thank all who replied, i love all the variety but all are one on the common goal! always great info! thanks jennifer
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I got myself a chest heart rate monitor and per that MFP overestimates my calories burned from cardio but underestimates for strength training type stuff.. I don't know if there are more accurate online calculators if you really want more accurate numbers maybe grab a heart rate monitor

Wheat rate monitors provide reasonable estimates for cardio but overestimate strength training.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    thanks
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Like others have already posted, I too have found that usually MFP calculates more calories burned than the more precise equipment measures, but not all the time. Soimetimes it is under. To be safe I go with the lower amount.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP to calculate my daily calories and set my profile to NOT take into account exercise calories when I record them. I eat at a deficit that takes into account my activity level already, so I do not "eat back" those calories. I have found MFP is not very accurate with calorie burn (calculates too high) and I'm afraid of eating back too much.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    it is definately under with hot yoga! so just don't worry about exercise, i never eat back the calories anyway, but focus on the initial numbers. do you adjust your settings to active or not?
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Why are you SHOUTING?
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    never mind about settings, just re-read the post. thanks. will give it a try.