Creatine or nah?

Options
2»

Replies

• DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    My doctor pulled me off of it when my kidneys were showing signs of failure or disease. I basically was having problems ridding myself of creatinine the byproduct of creatine.

Creatine is the most researched supplement there is. It's highly safe and effective. Creatine would not hurt your kidneys unless you were taking an extremely high dosage and basically drinking zero water.

Or if someone has pre-existing kidney issues. Which could be more than 10% of the population (source) :+1:

Of all the things that can be tough on your kidneys, 2-5 grams of creatine is not all that worrisome. If you have a kidney issue, you should consult your doctor before taking it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think most people here would benefit from it. It's probably more of a placebo effect more or less, but if you are a believer more "power" to you.

My doctor pulled me off of it when my kidneys were showing signs of failure or disease. I basically was having problems ridding myself of creatinine the byproduct of creatine.

Creatine is the most researched supplement there is. It's highly safe and effective. Creatine would not hurt your kidneys unless you were taking an extremely high dosage and basically drinking zero water.

What if my kidneys had scar tissue so bad that they couldn't function properly? My oncologist and doctor seems to think it's not a good idea to take extra at least until they can hopefully treat my kidneys of the blockage of scar tissue.

Your doctor pulling you off creatine because you have a kidney issue is much different than creatine creating that issue. Your post came off as if you were suggesting creatine caused damaged to your kidneys.

No, my post suggested that my opinion is it wouldn't help most people here.

My kidneys were having trouble getting rid of creatinine a by product of creatine. I never said creatine damaged my kidneys.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Or if someone has pre-existing kidney issues. Which could be more than 10% of the population (source) :+1:

Of all the things that can be tough on your kidneys, 2-5 grams of creatine is not all that worrisome. If you have a kidney issue, you should consult your doctor before taking it.

True when one is aware they have kidney issues. Of course not everybody is aware before they start taking a supplements. Life isn't always ideal :)