Using carbohydrates as only calorie source

Options
13»

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    From the Potato guys FAQ - I found it interesting.
    "Where do you get your protein?
    From potatoes! The World Health Organisation recomends we get at least 5% of our total calories from protein. Potatoes contain 6-8% of calories from protein, so as long as I eat enough calories then I'll be getting enough protein. I average around 70 grams of protein from 3.5kg of potatoes each day. Potatoes also contain an excellent balance of all essential amino acids.

Where do you get fats?
    From potatoes! Potatoes provided 2-3% of their calories from fats and in a good balance of omegas. I also have plenty of stored body fat to use up!

Where do you get vitamin C?
    From potatoes! (see a pattern developing here?). Potatoes are very rich in vitamin C, I'm currently getting over 600% of my daily vitamin C requirements.

Where do you get iron?
    From potatoes! Potatoes are very rich in iron, I'm currently getting over 500% of my daily iron requirements.

Where do you get vitamin A?
    From potatoes! Sweet potatoes in particular are very rich in vitamin A.

Where do you get fibre?
    Potatoes have heaps of fibre. I'm getting way more fibre than the recommended"

I would not have thought this - reinforces the fact that even what we think are pure carbs are not.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oh, you are o.k. Add some protein like eggs, steak, tacos.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Well, I noticed most of my intake comes from carbs and I am usually low in fat or protein.

Eating ONLY carbs and eating MOSTLY carbs are miles apart...

Whole foods that are ONLY carbs are rather rare. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So few foods we have available are purely one or another unless we've tampered with them somehow. Take the lowly potato. It's not just a carb bomb, baby!

MACROnutrients for a reason. We need them!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    So I guess it's safe to assume that even at maintenance calories we still couldn't survive on 100% carbs because fat and protein is essential to our body?

We don't have to assume anything, it's science. Carbohydrates, Protein, and Lipids are distinct macromolecules that are broken down and utilized by the body in different ways. Biology and Chemistry aren't really my field of study, so I can't really tell you the exact science behind it, but there is plenty of nonscientific literature that can explain the importance of each macronutrient. I think a lot of people rely to much on mfp forums to answer their questions, but often forget that a basic google search will return more accurate and reliable information.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So I guess it's safe to assume that even at maintenance calories we still couldn't survive on 100% carbs because fat and protein is essential to our body?

We don't have to assume anything, it's science. Carbohydrates, Protein, and Lipids are distinct macromolecules that are broken down and utilized by the body in different ways. Biology and Chemistry aren't really my field of study, so I can't really tell you the exact science behind it, but there is plenty of nonscientific literature that can explain the importance of each macronutrient. I think a lot of people rely to much on mfp forums to answer their questions, but often forget that a basic google search will return more accurate and reliable information.

Without knowing how to filter sources, a basic Google search can also turn up a bunch of wild, whacky crackpot junk science thinly disguised as facts. At least here on MFP there are people who recognize the tinfoil hat stuff and will point it out for what it is.

[ETA:] As to the OP, if a person were hypothetically able to find and subsist upon a diet composed entirely of carbohydrates, they would first become sick, then extremely sick, then they would die from it.