When will body change?

Options
So in the past I've mostly always done some sort of "extreme" diet to lose weight, and I see the numbers on the scale dropping pretty fast, I also love eating paleo. This is my first time counting calories and exercising every day. Although I've been counting calories and trying to stick to my macros, I haven't been avoiding the normal things I would avoid such as dairy, grains and sugar. So although I've done over an hour of exercise per day and staying within or below my calories for the past 10 days, my weight keeps going up and down within the same 2lbs and I haven't lost anything. I'm not trying to be unrealistic, I understand that changes take time. I'm just curious, is this normal for this type of lifestyle? Will the pounds eventually come off if I eat a fairly normally balanced diet within my calorie allotment and exercise? Or should I start cutting out treats and grains and dairy and sugar completely??? Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience to mine. Thanks!!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you in a calorie deficit? that's what it takes! Accurate calorie counting
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    No matter what advocates of an eating style claim, it's not what you're eating. It's how much.

Do you have a food scale?
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I still eat sugars grains but I do it all within the scope of a 1200 calorie diet. I used to try all the fad diets too but they never stuck because I never learned to eat right or I couldn't eat a large selection of foods to lose weight.

For pastas I substituted white for whole grain...mainly because it's lower calorie really. I still eat ice cream but it's skinny cow..means I don't have to consume a quarter of my daily allotment of calories for one serving lol.

After the first month, I started to exercise. Couldn't even do 30 minutes in a treadmill 2 months ago but now I can jog 5 miles a day because, for me, exercise did two things:
    1. Created a deficit in my calories so if I wanted to put cheese in something I don't have to worry about it (I weigh everything tho...to make sure I don't go crazy).
    2. It made me more fit.

In terms of my body changing, I didn't really see anything until the 35 pound weight loss. Then other people near me started to really see it at the 40. 4 months later I'm at the 60 lb Mark but I still have a ways to go. Based on what I'm doing, I should be at my goal by October.

But going to the calorie in calorie out model works for me. It's also the oldest method and it's tried and true. I just pretty much beat around the bush for 15 years with fad diets and I kind of wished I stuck to the tried and true form at the start. But, alas, no looking back :)

Since you stated you haven't been noticing, how many calories are you eating a day and do you measure/weigh everything?
  • jdehart48
    jdehart48 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I still eat sugars grains but I do it all within the scope of a 1200 calorie diet. I used to try all the fad diets too but they never stuck because I never learned to eat right or I couldn't eat a large selection of foods to lose weight.

For pastas I substituted white for whole grain...mainly because it's lower calorie really. I still eat ice cream but it's skinny cow..means I don't have to consume a quarter of my daily allotment of calories for one serving lol.

After the first month, I started to exercise. Couldn't even do 30 minutes in a treadmill 2 months ago but now I can jog 5 miles a day because, for me, exercise did two things:
    1. Created a deficit in my calories so if I wanted to put cheese in something I don't have to worry about it (I weigh everything tho...to make sure I don't go crazy).
    2. It made me more fit.

In terms of my body changing, I didn't really see anything until the 35 pound weight loss. Then other people near me started to really see it at the 40. 4 months later I'm at the 60 lb Mark but I still have a ways to go. Based on what I'm doing, I should be at my goal by October.

But going to the calorie in calorie out model works for me. It's also the oldest method and it's tried and true. I just pretty much beat around the bush for 15 years with fad diets and I kind of wished I stuck to the tried and true form at the start. But, alas, no looking back :)

Since you stated you haven't been noticing, how many calories are you eating a day and do you measure/weigh everything?

Yes I measure and weigh everything, I've been making my portions ahead of time and labeling them in the fridge. I'm supposed to eat 1890 calories per day (I'm breastfeeding) but I thought maybe I should lower it??? I rarely eat that much though, it seems like a ton of food. I usually earn back 800 calories through exercise but I rarely eat those back because again, it seems like a ridiculous amount of food.
  • jdehart48
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    No matter what advocates of an eating style claim, it's not what you're eating. It's how much.

Do you have a food scale?

Yes! I use it religiously

• jdehart48
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Are you in a calorie deficit? that's what it takes! Accurate calorie counting

I think so. I have mfp set for me to lose 1lb per week.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure how it works for breast feeding so I won't speculate on that.

But according to the calorie counter I am 5'6 and 243 pounds now. In order for me to lose two pounds a week I can only eat 1150 calories a day. Every ten pounds I change it. And I've literally been losing two a week. 4 pounds a week when I exercise

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

1800 sounds like a maintain daily allotment to me...but you're breastfeeding so I'm not sure how that works
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    jdehart48 wrote: »

2. It made me more fit.

Yes I measure and weigh everything, I've been making my portions ahead of time and labeling them in the fridge. I'm supposed to eat 1890 calories per day (I'm breastfeeding) but I thought maybe I should lower it??? I rarely eat that much though, it seems like a ton of food. I usually earn back 800 calories through exercise but I rarely eat those back because again, it seems like a ridiculous amount of food.

I'd speak with a doctor before cutting calories while nursing. But...since you're nursing that can explain weight fluctuations.
  • jdehart48
    Options
    I'm not sure how it works for breast feeding so I won't speculate on that.

But according to the calorie counter I am 5'6 and 243 pounds now. In order for me to lose two pounds a week I can only eat 1150 calories a day. Every ten pounds I change it. And I've literally been losing two a week. 4 pounds a week when I exercise

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

1800 sounds like a maintain daily allotment to me...but you're breastfeeding so I'm not sure how that works

Thanks! Yes, supposedly I'm supposed to stay in the 1600-1900 range for breastfeeding because I burn anywhere from 200-500 calories a day for breastfeeding. Although I've never been the type of person to lose weight while breastfeeding, this is my third kiddo. I'm think maybe if I start watching the type of foods I'm eating, but eat a lot of them, maybe I'll see more of a difference... Hmm
  • jdehart48
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    jdehart48 wrote: »

2. It made me more fit.

I'd speak with a doctor before cutting calories while nursing. But...since you're nursing that can explain weight fluctuations.

so far I've been told to watch to see if my milk supply slows down and it's been ok so far. So I guess I'll just go from there. Thanks!