How much does waking actually burn?

I'm 5"10 170 male and walked roughly 7 miles today according to mapmywalk. I took the numbers it imported into mfp and divided by 2. So I have like 350 exercise calories in MFP. Does that sound about right?

Replies

• minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member
    I just calculated my weight x .57 It's pretty much on track with what Google fit calculates. Thanks for the info! Good to know for future use.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Something else to think about is your basal metabolic rate. Your body burns calories simply by existing. So when I say I burn 60 calories per mile, that's not the full story. Had i been sleeping instead of walking my body would still be burning calories. So the real question is - how many more calories did I burn above my basal metabolic rate?

Well, I burn about 70 calories an hour merely existing (1700 maintenance calories / 24 hours). If it takes me 20 minutes to walk one mile, I am really only burning about 40 more calories for that mile than my body is burning anyway.

But... Try not to make yourself crazy! If you are losing weight, you're doing it right.

I'm not actually trying to lose weight just stay the same so it's important I don't overheat
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Going by all of your other posts OP. You sound like you're in panic mode, try and relax a bit :smile:
  • Christine_72
    You recently got a charge HR right? You still don't trust the numbers it's giving you?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Something else to think about is your basal metabolic rate. Your body burns calories simply by existing. So when I say I burn 60 calories per mile, that's not the full story. Had i been sleeping instead of walking my body would still be burning calories. So the real question is - how many more calories did I burn above my basal metabolic rate?

Well, I burn about 70 calories an hour merely existing (1700 maintenance calories / 24 hours). If it takes me 20 minutes to walk one mile, I am really only burning about 40 more calories for that mile than my body is burning anyway.

But... Try not to make yourself crazy! If you are losing weight, you're doing it right.

That's not really accurate. The 0.57x(weight ) is the energy expected in excess of existing.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,871 Member
    Your weight X .57 is how many calories the average person burns walking a mile. There have been quite a few peer-reviewed journal articles written on this, from test subjects hooked up to respirators on treadmills.

So, bigger people burn more calories walking the same distance. It's basic physics. Calories are simply a unit of energy. It takes more energy to move a bigger mass the same distance as a smaller mass. What this also means that as you lose weight you will burn fewer calories walking (or doing anything physical) than you did before.

Unfortunately 115 pound me only burns about 60 calories per mile :)

Yep, the equation you quoted is gross calories though. Thus this includes the calories the TO would be burning anyway if he did nothing. Thus it's quite a bit less than that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    srecupid wrote: »
    I'm 5"10 170 male and walked roughly 7 miles today according to mapmywalk. I took the numbers it imported into mfp and divided by 2. So I have like 350 exercise calories in MFP. Does that sound about right?

sounds about half what you would have used ;-) I'm guessing it took 2 hours or more so 3 cals/minute extra is perhaps a bit low.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

I would use this formula:
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles)

170 x 0.3 x 7 = 357 cals
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    I'm smaller than you and I guestimate that walking burns approx. 200 calories per hour.
  • srecupid
    You recently got a charge HR right? You still don't trust the numbers it's giving you?

Returned it. Said my HR was 55 at rest when it's more like 75. I was too lazy to keep adjusting it
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Here is my go-to article: http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

I find that the running estimates match up with my HRM pretty well...
  • srecupid
    Going by all of your other posts OP. You sound like you're in panic mode, try and relax a bit :smile:

You aren't exactly wrong. I lost alot of weight because it was fun to do so. Now I'm at maintenance and need some rules to keep me in line but I also am the person who has always hated rules.But my weight has been the same 5 days in a row now despite too much jack daniels the other night and going way over so I guess I'm doing something right
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member

You aren't exactly wrong. I lost alot of weight because it was fun to do so. Now I'm at maintenance and need some rules to keep me in line but I also am the person who has always hated rules.But my weight has been the same 5 days in a row now despite too much jack daniels the other night and going way over so I guess I'm doing something right

Hey! I've seen your posts on the maintenance board too.

I'm with Christine. Relax a tad! :smile: Have you thought of looking into TDEE? That may take some of the stress away from trying to calculate all the exercise/active calories you have everyday since it already accounts for your average exercise.

Are you generally consistent with your activity from a week to week basis? If so, maybe give it a try!

Here's a good calculator! http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Remember, all these calorie calculations are just a jumping off point and you may need to adjust according to your results!

Congrats on reaching maintenance!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Well it depends how fast and what the incline is too...
  • srecupid
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well it depends how fast and what the incline is too...

I live in a neighborhood that literally has hills in the name.
  • srecupid

I'm with Christine. Relax a tad! :smile: Have you thought of looking into TDEE? That may take some of the stress away from trying to calculate all the exercise/active calories you have everyday since it already accounts for your average exercise.

Are you generally consistent with your activity from a week to week basis? If so, maybe give it a try!

Here's a good calculator! http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Remember, all these calorie calculations are just a jumping off point and you may need to adjust according to your results!

I am pretty consistent. Though I am working a *kitten* ton this week because the other person who works the same shifts as me is on vacation so I can probably bump it up to lightly active and get away with it this week. I'm getting a mi band 2 soon (as soon as it can get here from china) it's not integrated with mfp yet but, i think i'll just leave it on sedentary and adjust as needed by doing my own calculations when it shows up.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member

I am pretty consistent. Though I am working a *kitten* ton this week because the other person who works the same shifts as me is on vacation so I can probably bump it up to lightly active and get away with it this week. I'm getting a mi band 2 soon (as soon as it can get here from china) it's not integrated with mfp yet but, i think i'll just leave it on sedentary and adjust as needed by doing my own calculations when it shows up.

Okay cool! Honestly, I highly doubt your sedentary but it's better to start low and adjust there. Maintenance will take time and I think you've got a good approach!
  • minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member

That's another thing I like about Google fit...they estimate ur inactive calorie burn too. Combined with MFP it's a great tool
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Put what your tracker says if it calculates weight/height and all that and follow that if you start gaining it might be less. If not you'll be good to stay maintaining as you are aiming to do. I'm assuming you eat the calories you burn? Because you are worried about it going to high. If you are still losing and worried then you might be under estimating your calorie burns. Right now I'm happy to go with what MFP says and so far though it seems high(my weight is high) it works and I eat back half to all depending on hunger. And losing pretty steadily.
  • srecupid
    minniesb69 wrote: »

That's another thing I like about Google fit...they estimate ur inactive calorie burn too. Combined with MFP it's a great tool

Yeah but I have 2 phones and constantly leave them lying around. Cant count steps if it's not on you
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Your weight X .57 is how many calories the average person burns walking a mile. There have been quite a few peer-reviewed journal articles written on this, from test subjects hooked up to respirators on treadmills.

So, bigger people burn more calories walking the same distance. It's basic physics. Calories are simply a unit of energy. It takes more energy to move a bigger mass the same distance as a smaller mass. What this also means that as you lose weight you will burn fewer calories walking (or doing anything physical) than you did before.

Unfortunately 115 pound me only burns about 60 calories per mile :)

Accurate for me, too. Only a little more than that at 120. :smile:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member

Yeah but I have 2 phones and constantly leave them lying around. Cant count steps if it's not on you

There's a FitBit for that. Or any other wearable activity tracker.
  • Christine_72

He returned his fitbit..

OP I have no interest in HR moniter devices at all!
    I've got the fitbit Alta and thus far I'm really happy with it. It's spot on for my step count.

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member

He returned his fitbit..

I've got the fitbit Alta and thus far I'm really happy with it. It's spot on for my step count.

I use a Fitbit for purely motivational purposes. I always want to get that last 50, 500 or 1000 steps in to reach my goal. Or better yet, to beat my steps from yesterday. Even if it means marching in place in my pajamas minutes before I get into bed. :)
  • Christine_72

He returned his fitbit..

I use a Fitbit for purely motivational purposes. I always want to get that last 50, 500 or 1000 steps in to reach my goal. Or better yet, to beat my steps from yesterday. Even if it means marching in place in my pajamas minutes before I get into bed. :)

Haha same here! I compete against myself everyday.
    I stopped entering the fitbit challenges because they were taking over my life :confounded:

• srecupid

He returned his fitbit..

Wouldn't say that. I have a polar h7 it's just more trouble than it's worth to out on sometimes and I'm not gonna wear it to work. I just want a somewhat accurate method of tracking. I ordered the new mi band 2 but I have no idea when it will show up.