Sugar withdrawal

I am a real sugar addict! My partner was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and this gave me the jolt I needed! I have not had chocolate biscuits cake for a week now and must admit I feel better. However mid week I had a raging headache and upset stomach for 2 days, not sure if this was sugar detox or a bug? On research some sites say there is no such thing as sugar detox, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    While I do believe there is an emotional component to eating and over eating, I don't believe that sugar itself is addictive. As for the headache and upset stomach, have you also cut back on caffeine (found in chocolate), or any other changes in consumption which may contribute? I did try to give up all added sugar many years ago and felt horrible for about a week. I blamed the sugar at the time, but looking back on it, it was more likely the caffeine, which I had also given up at the same time.

Now, focusing on adding foods, rather than taking some away seems to be more beneficial to my mental state while losing weight. Rather than giving up stuff, I am making sure I get enough protein, fibre, and iron. Adding in enough sleep and some exercise regularly. As compared to focusing on getting rid of sugar. It's a mind-trick I like to play with myself. Focus on the positives.

Best of luck to you and your partner.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    When I started this journey I quit refined sugar for two months. Not because I think that it is bad, but to break a habit. Like you I felt the headaches etc. I don't think it so much a detox as the breaking the habit and needing to think about it consiously that for me was the issue.
    It took about two weeks. These days sugary sweet things are no longer my thing and I have noticed my palate has changed. It is really weird, but most baking, cakes snd cookies I no longer like. I am getting very picky bout my sweets
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Any diet change can give some disturbance until your body adapts. Sugar is a digestible carbohydrate not a toxin like, say, arsenic nor is it a chemically addictive substance like alcohol or heroin with defined clinical symptoms of withdrawal. Many people do however report what they subjectively regard as withdrawal symptoms.

If you substantially dropped your carbohydrate intake you may have seen a blood pressure drop that influenced the headache, especially light headedness on standing up. Your body may also be taking a while to ramp up its glucose prodcution to supply the sugar you aren't eating, or to improve its use of fats instead.