Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Well, inspite of the naysayers, I actually do find that ACV helps me. However, I do not drink it raw (can't stand it!). I take ACV capsules (3 in the AM and 3 in the PM). What I notice the most is it does seem to help with cravings and it does help with digestion. Whether it's the better digestion that allows the body to extract nutrients better which makes one crave less things, I don't know. But I definitely notice a difference and have tried multiple ways of testing that theory. It's one of those things that can't really hurt and may help so it's worth the try. If it does nothing for you, then you've learned it does nothing for your body. We're all different. If it helps, then it doesn't really matter what anyone else says.
  • julescba04
    julescba04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use it for cleaning and on my face after shower.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've seen awesome benefits when I use it on pulled pork. Tastes great!

For health/weight loss purposes - nah. Just another diet industry scam.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It can help reduce water retention as lots of competitive bodybuilders use it during contest prep. For actual fat burning; absolutely nothing.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I thought it was used to help in digestion of foods.
    I use lemon water instead.
    1 tbsp in a room temperature glass.
    It has become a habit 1/2 hour before dinner
    * Maybe it's just drinking water before dinner that helps in weight loss. I don't care.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yuck. I can't imagine drinking vinegar.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I tried it. It's awful. I teaspoon before meals. Lost my will to live. :)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    [quote="AnvilHead;36780172"]I've seen awesome benefits when I use it on pulled pork. Tastes great!

For health/weight loss purposes - nah. Just another diet industry scam.[/quote]

Oh yeah! This is what I use it for. ACV and a splash of liquid smoke - heaven.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Just had to double check that I had some in my cabinet.

Found a new recipe for barbacoa, and it calls for ACV...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Well, inspite of the naysayers, I actually do find that ACV helps me. However, I do not drink it raw (can't stand it!). I take ACV capsules (3 in the AM and 3 in the PM). What I notice the most is it does seem to help with cravings and it does help with digestion. Whether it's the better digestion that allows the body to extract nutrients better which makes one crave less things, I don't know. But I definitely notice a difference and have tried multiple ways of testing that theory. It's one of those things that can't really hurt and may help so it's worth the try. If it does nothing for you, then you've learned it does nothing for your body. We're all different. If it helps, then it doesn't really matter what anyone else says.

Today's word is "Confirmation Bias"

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Today's word is "Confirmation Bias"

That's two words! LOL :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of shampoo!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I find it curious that the biggest source of 'information' as to the miraculous curative properties of ACV available on the internet comes from a company that makes it. ;)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I hear it's really good for your hair when you use it as a rinse.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    rccrozier wrote: »
    Pure? Put a piece of limestone into vinegar and see what happens to it. It's starts fizzing. That's the acid in the vinegar dissolving the rock very slowly. It does the same to your teeth as it's the same material.

So we're not to eat anything acidic now because it will dissolve our teeth?

What you're doing here is scaremongering. There's nothing special about apple cider vinegar, it's acidic, the same as any other vinegar, or fruit juice for that matter. They all would harm your teeth if you kept your mouth full of it for hours. This is why we brush our teeth.

And what they has to do with "purity" is a mystery to me.

• ranmanx0x
    ranmanx0x Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There have been clinical studies and there is proof of ACV's affect on things like lower insulin response (30%, any vinegar as someone else pointed out. Eat low sodium pickles) when ingesting before a meal, infections, and anti-tumor properties. It is also found to be a bit of an antioxidant, which is also good in fighting cancer. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/

As far as helping with losing weight, if it helps with insulin response, then by contrast it should help with losing weight to some degree since a high insulin response triggers fat storage(if you have a sedentary lifestyle) and also makes your pancreas work a lot harder than it should, which could eventually lead to type 2 diabetes. Of course if you are working out and exercising in combination with a sensible eating regimen (you aren't over eating at every meal) then that fat storage shouldn't have an impact, because you will have a constant calorie deficit and your body will use that fat for energy, which is what you want.

Sources *kitten*!
  • jonel_oh_el
    jonel_oh_el Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink acv with (the mother) diluted in a water bottle and so far the benefits have been tremendous!
    I don't drink it for weightloss but for digestion instead since it definitely flushes out whatever gets left in my digestive track. I feel more energized after drinking it and lighter on my feet so I think something definitely could be said about the benefits of acv although I'm not sure how much it expedites weightloss.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I always cut my salad dressing with it at home. 2 parts acv and 1 part my favorite dressing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rccrozier wrote: »
    Pure? Put a piece of limestone into vinegar and see what happens to it. It's starts fizzing. That's the acid in the vinegar dissolving the rock very slowly. It does the same to your teeth as it's the same material.

So we're not to eat anything acidic now because it will dissolve our teeth?

What you're doing here is scaremongering. There's nothing special about apple cider vinegar, it's acidic, the same as any other vinegar, or fruit juice for that matter. They all would harm your teeth if you kept your mouth full of it for hours. This is why we brush our teeth.

And what they has to do with "purity" is a mystery to me.

Actually, most dentists recommend brushing your teeth before eating in the morning and before bed, which is usually not right after consumption of food.

It's overall good dental care advice to counter the "just brush right after eating ACV".

What's with the hostility?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Its an antibacterial - all vinegars are. I use it diluted in water to clean my hardwood floors.