Motivation???

Options
For someone who absolutely hates and despises exercise do you guys have any tips to help me enjoy exercising

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Find something you enjoy. There's something for everyone, but you might just have to try a bunch of different things before you find what that is. Keep an open mind and a positive attitude.
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same, but with my sons wedding date announced I knew I had to do something about my weight. I joined a gym and was allocated a personal trainer. After our first, free, session I continued to use his services, only because I know if I have an appointment I will do everything I can to keep it, and I knew I would get bored very quickly if I just used the treadmill or bike. Eight months later I really love going to the gym and go even if I don't have a training session scheduled, and I will continue long after the wedding, because I feel so much healthier and stronger.
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I still have a lot of weight to lose, so for now I think focusing on keeping my calorie deficit should be priority. However, I'm curious to know if there will ever be any kind of exercise I enjoy. I love tennis, but that requires a partner and I have no one to play with. I moved to a small town in the middle of nowhere so finding people through apps or social media is a bust. I impulsively bought some stretch bands and a jump rope yesterday. I'm going to try doing SOMETHING with the bands while I watch TV or something, bc any exercise is something for me, as I am very weak (just 10 min or so, so far has made me feel something lol). I'm hoping the jump rope will feel fun, whimsical and great cardio. I will also get to laugh at myself and that's good exercise too! If neither gets me anywhere, it was a cheap investment anyway.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    msalih8111 wrote: »
    For someone who absolutely hates and despises exercise do you guys have any tips to help me enjoy exercising

Being able to move is a gift. Find some movement you enjoy and do it on a regular basis. Doesn't have to be "exercise".
  • msalih8111
    msalih8111 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thx for the advice
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise & hated sports at school. I find weights to be the best. Buy some iron dumbbells & a lot of YouTube lol. Your don't have to join a gym just make some room & stick to it
  • otterbx
    otterbx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Which exercise do you hate? May just be a matter of finding alternatives. If you dislike running, try biking or swimming or hiking. If lifting weights is not your thing, perhaps a different kind of strength type training (like yoga). Can also take pictures/selfie so you can see before and after, helps with motivation. Finally, work out with a partner or have someone online to keep you accountable.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I get bored easily so my cardio time is also my reading time. I bring my kindle with me to the gym and read while i ride the stationary bike. I find I do better if I go to a gym - but that is just the way I am. Just recently started to add some strength training to the cardio on some days. Just find what works for you.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Besides finding something you really enjoy, what has helped me is finding ways to challenge myself. Did p90x, then Jillian Michaels making the cut, then insanity, then took up running, then joined a gym, etc...most of all, stay focused on your goals of why you're doing it and remember any exercise is always better for you than no exercise!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to find something that you enjoy.

Or a way to make something that you find boring more enjoyable. For example, I usually listen to audiobooks or podcasts when I walk and run. That makes it more interesting for me. Sometimes I get an audiobook especially for that activity and don't listen to it any other time, so I'm keen to get out and move so I can keep going with my book.

I also like to have a goal - for me that usually means a race. Currently I'm signed up for a series of 5 races over 6 weeks in July/August so I know I have to be really disciplined with my training if I'm going to complete/enjoy them. That helps me to get out of bed in the morning, which I really need right now while it's cold and dark, or like today, cold and dark and foggy and damp (I hate winter!)