Struggling to keep going

Options
I'm having a very low day with my diet and it just feels like the same thing i've gone through time and time again. Basically i've been sensing a pattern that i'll be really focused in my diet and exercise and then if anything gets me down, i'll just immediately resort to food for comfort without even a thought towards my long term goal. For instance today i've been ridiculously home sick, (i'm working away from home for the summer) and all my friends are making plans which i can't be apart of and i just wanted to vent a bit to my boyfriend about how hard im finding that and he wasn't exactly sympathetic and that's when i turned to the chocolate i kept hidden in the back of my cupboard.

I know it eating badly isn't an answer but i just don't feel supported at all to make healthy decisions, especially when i'm upset

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't count on other people to validate your life. Once you learn to deal with your life it will all come together. Some people can do it quickly and easily and others have to try and fail to get it. As long as you expect others to come to your rescue so you don't have to deal with your feelings you'll keep reaching for the chocolate.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lgki4vyOpY1qe0tgxo1_500.gif
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps to make sure you DON'T have any stashed food to turn to! I've had the same problem, but it's harder to resist the urge to turn to food when you know you have a little something hidden away. If no chocolate is immediately available you will be more successful at finding other coping mechanisms!
  • batmonkey
    batmonkey Posts: 5
    Options
    I know what your saying and i'll try to remember that, thank you

and I love finding nemo, but also really love swimming so i so appreciate that gif
  • Juelz2013
    Juelz2013 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm having a very low day with my diet and it just feels like the same thing i've gone through time and time again. Basically i've been sensing a pattern that i'll be really focused in my diet and exercise and then if anything gets me down, i'll just immediately resort to food for comfort without even a thought towards my long term goal. For instance today i've been ridiculously home sick, (i'm working away from home for the summer) and all my friends are making plans which i can't be apart of and i just wanted to vent a bit to my boyfriend about how hard im finding that and he wasn't exactly sympathetic and that's when i turned to the chocolate i kept hidden in the back of my cupboard.

I know it eating badly isn't an answer but i just don't feel supported at all to make healthy decisions, especially when i'm upset

It will just make things worse if you eat bad foods cause you're stressed or upset. I use stress or anger as motivation and when I get on my treadmill or whatever cardio machine I let it all out lol...After, I feel a million times better. don't feel discouraged because you had one or two days of eating bad, just get back up and try it again :)
  • batmonkey
    batmonkey Posts: 5
    Options
    I've never really tried to channel my anger into exercise before so i'll try and use that, I guess i also find it difficult working 8 hours a day around really unhealthy food and then finding the energy to work out as well.
  • miri17k
    miri17k Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    every time I'm angry/ frustrated/ disappointed I turn on Jillian Michaels' kickboxing DVD and just let my anger out. works like a charm!