How I can loss more than 2 pounds per week?

Options

Replies

• Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    @maryjobo 1200 calories per day is not appropriate for everyone. I'm excited to read about your success but we need more info on the OP before we start offering advice.

Totally not true. You can't say 1200 calories per day is not appropriate for EVERYone. Unless you meant not everyone should do a 1200 calorie a day and it's up to you and your doctor.

I have a primary physician, cardiologist, and an endocrinologist all telling me they wanted me on a 1200 calorie a day intake. They've also wanted me to commit to 45 minutes of cardio 5 times a week.

My blood work has been taken twice since February 22, 2016 and each time my blood work has dramatically improved. I'm not malnourished, I'm not suffering from any ill side effects.

I've lost 60 pounds since Feb 22 and it's healthy and tests shows this.

My pet peeve are folks who are armchair nutritionalists. Let her decide what is best for her between her and her doctor and cheer her on this journey and stop saying don't and can't. That runs people away in a heartbeat
  • Annahbananas
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Oh....and burning 2000 calories can be done as shown in a screenshot of my Fitbit information...this was taken last week...one day. Remember, everyone is different and not everyone has the same exercise routine a06dxogqecjn.png
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    That burn seems awfully high? What are your stats?
  • Annahbananas
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's high because I'm still overweight. My workout heart rate was around 140-150 And I pretty much slow jogged an equivalent of a marathon that day.

My point is, don't assume everyone is the same and tell folks this is bad or that is bad or don't do this. Give her a chance to see her doctor first. Don't assume the worse. Let her doctor tell her what she should and shouldn't do. Let us encourage her
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    @maryjobo 1200 calories per day is not appropriate for everyone. I'm excited to read about your success but we need more info on the OP before we start offering advice.

Totally not true. You can't say 1200 calories per day is not appropriate for EVERYone. Unless you meant not everyone should do a 1200 calorie a day and it's up to you and your doctor.

I have a primary physician, cardiologist, and an endocrinologist all telling me they wanted me on a 1200 calorie a day intake. They've also wanted me to commit to 45 minutes of cardio 5 times a week.

My blood work has been taken twice since February 22, 2016 and each time my blood work has dramatically improved. I'm not malnourished, I'm not suffering from any ill side effects.

My pet peeve are folks who are armchair nutritionalists. Let her decide what is best for her between her and her doctor and cheer her on this journey and stop saying don't and can't. That runs people away in a heartbeat

1200 calories is appropriate for some people but not all. We don't even know the OP's stats yet. The poster @MissusMoon was replying to gave them one-size-fits-all advice and told them to drop down to 1200 calories. It's absolutely appropriate to suggest that advice may or may not be the best approach.
  • Annahbananas
    Options

1200 calories is appropriate for some people but not all.

This is a good comment. Appropriate for some people but not all. My issue are the comments with generalizations that it's entirely bad. Let her and her doctor make that decision. Or encourage her to see her physician to answer that question. We are not qualified nor certified to tell her it's bad.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! What did you do to get in 59k steps?!?!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

1200 calories is appropriate for some people but not all.

This is a good comment. Appropriate for some people but not all. My issue are the comments with generalizations that it's entirely bad. Let her and her doctor make that decision. Or encourage her to see her physician to answer that question. We are not qualified nor certified to tell her it's bad.

That's not how I read @MissusMoon's comment given her posting history. You seem to have read it in the least charitable light possible. Will you also be responding to the person upthread who's suggesting that 1200 is right for everyone? If comments with generalizations are entirely bad, surely that one is too.
  • Annahbananas
    edited June 2016
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Holy cow! What did you do to get in 59k steps?!?!

Me and some friends did a very casual form of a marathon. I've been wanting to do a real one in January and I'm building myself up to that
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

its not appropriate for everyone because for those with not a lot to lose that low of a calorie goal may be below their BMR, and if you arent obese you shouldnt eat below that,if you are obese you can get by with it for a short time but not for the long haul. now if someone only has 50 lbs or less to lose then 1200 may not be enough or sustainable and the more active a person is the more calories they need to fuel their workouts. if someone is eating 1200 calories and burning 1000 thats a net of 200 calories.so therefore 1200 is not appropriate for everyone.for a lot of people 1200 is too little,just because its the bare minimum doesnt mean you should go that low. people who are obese can also eat more calories and still lose weight until they get down to a certain point which is why MFP tells you to calibrate your settings for every 10lbs or so that you lose. if you start out at 1200 calories where else are you going to go when you get close to goal?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I think my record is 32k steps - we spent almost the entire day walking around DC. I was exhausted by the end of the day!
  • Annahbananas
    Options
    I think my record is 32k steps - we spent almost the entire day walking around DC. I was exhausted by the end of the day!

Not saying it was a good idea lol. I pretty much couldn't really do anything on a treadmill the next day. Hence why I did it only once. My average steps per day is 20k on days I workout. About 10k on other days
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I would only get about 1475 calories for that many steps. From my BodyMedia armband, and now my Garmin, I earn about 25 calories for every 1000 steps. Seems correct for me as I'm in maintenance and I'm maintaining using this info. I'm 5'3 and 120.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Not saying it was a good idea lol. I pretty much couldn't really do anything on a treadmill the next day. Hence why I did it only once. My average steps per day is 20k on days I workout. About 10k on other days

So basically, it isn't relevant to the thread.

OP, generally not a good idea to attempt very rapid weight loss unless driven by medical issues.
  • suzie1680
    suzie1680 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new MFP and just finding my way round.
    I think by sticking to a sensible eating plan, exercising and keeping yourself hydrated can all aid in a sensible weight loss of 2lbs a week. I have a friend who is using the slimming world plan and she does not exercise, hates it but loves her food, hence she is low dieting. She has lost 2-3lbs every week and her portions are huge!. I guess we have to find the most suitable plan for us. None of us woke up one day and was like, "wow I put on weight overnight"; It built up over a period of time.
    I personally don't think "quick fix" diets work as there's a high chance your put it back on and some as it's not always sustainable, sticking to a extreme regime.
    I think the best way is to enjoy the weight loss journey, having the odd treat and learning to love your body and embrace the new you, as you change.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Oh....and burning 2000 calories can be done as shown in a screenshot of my Fitbit information...this was taken last week...one day. Remember, everyone is different and not everyone has the same exercise routine a06dxogqecjn.png

I'd love to see you do that everyday!

Here's one of my days

wxoee3tdzs6n.png

If you add that to the next day I'd walked 56 miles in a 24hr period. Oh to do that every day.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

What? That IS what it means. "1200 is not appropriate for everyone" means it's appropriate for some people and not others. You seem to have read it as "1200 is not appropriate for anyone" which has a totally different meaning.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

What? That IS what it means. "1200 is not appropriate for everyone" means it's appropriate for some people and not others. You seem to have read it as "1200 is not appropriate for anyone" which has a totally different meaning.

I can't even believe we're even doing this. That (what you're responding to) was way too many words to twist a statement into something it wasn't.
  • plasticlin
    plasticlin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.

I have lost 2kg in the first 5 days with about 1000cal a day and no exercise.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    plasticlin wrote: »
    Yes you can.

I have lost 2kg in the first 5 days with about 1000cal a day and no exercise.

Water weight loss most likely. If you really lost 2kg of actual body fat in 5 days, then you reduced your calorie intake by 7000x2 = 14000kcal in 5 days, or by 2800kcal by day. Saying you're on 1000kcal per day meant that your maintenance calories are 3800kcal at this moment. Does that sound realistic to you?

Ok, lets assume you're male, 1.80m. 3800 maintenance calories would put you at around 150kg. If you were an average 1.60 woman, you'd be at around 220kg heavy.

but the most important part has been ignored in this thread so far: losing weight too fast means a lot of muscles mass is lost next to body fat. That means TO doesn't end up thin and cool looking but skinny fat. If TO is already a bit older she might be at risk of osteoporosis as having a good set of muscles keeps the bones strong. And it's extremely difficult to build up muscles again, especially as a woman from a certain age.