Calories burned during HIIT????

Options
How do I track calories burned while doing an at-home HIIT circuit? I found a YouTube video that showcases an exercise that can be done on the stairs in your home. I want to do it but I'm not sure how many calories I will burn and how many I'll need to eat back. Thanks!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Impossible question is impossible! :)

What overall duration?
    What intervals? (How much is high intensity, how much recovery?)
    Your weight?

(Even then it's just guesswork.....)
  • jdehart48
    jdehart48 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well she jumps up two stairs at a time, all the way up and runs back down and goes back up like 5 times and then jumps up each step with wide legs and runs back down several times and then alternates steps of wide legs and legs together, hopping all the way up and running down and back up several times and then some up and down high knees things and then push ups against the stairs with a burpee type thing and then some side squats and then a plank. It lasts about 10 minutes. No resting.
  • jdehart48
    jdehart48 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Impossible question is impossible! :)

What overall duration?
    What intervals? (How much is high intensity, how much recovery?)
    Your weight?

(Even then it's just guesswork.....)

I weigh 174
  • sijomial
    Options
    It's not actually true HIIT then. Unfortunately trainers just hang the HIIT label on everything these days.

My guess - 100 cals tops. (But just a guess....)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Probably not very many really. You might be able to find a MET value for some of the things, and then calculate it out as much as possible. I really don't know where I would draw the line at HIIT vs just hard intervals these days since the expression has been used so many ways, but your workout example is one that gives a lot of variables. Many you kill it on the stair stuff and lag on the pushups. Maybe you do good at a steady effort. But any changes might change the calorie burn, since the differing things are moving mass in different ways.

Either way, chances are if you feel like you worked hard, it's worth doing and going to help fitness in some way.

Doing true Tabata protocol, I can raise my heart rate 110-120 beats per minute in four minutes. It's work. But the overall calorie burn is less than the warm up and cool down period. Do HIIT or interval type stuff for fitness, do something steady state if looking for calorie burn totals IMO.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Dont eat it back ! Just stay on your calories goal without exercise
  • chilifritos
    chilifritos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I might suggest you should look into Fitnessblender.com, thats what I do and you get a really good workout also just buy a cheap jump rope and do a 10 minute hiit 20 on 10 rest both of these you only need a small area to do it ,also fitnessblender video have a calorie counter on it so you can see approximately how many calories you are burning ...Good luck
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If I might suggest you should look into Fitnessblender.com, thats what I do and you get a really good workout also just buy a cheap jump rope and do a 10 minute hiit 20 on 10 rest both of these you only need a small area to do it ,also fitnessblender video have a calorie counter on it so you can see approximately how many calories you are burning ...Good luck

the fitnessblender calories burned counter is an estimate. kelli and daniel will tell you that in some of their info videos. it all depends on how much you weigh,your height and how much effort you are putting into the workouts. if you are doing cardio its best to get a heart rate monitor while not 100% correct if will give you a better idea of what you burn during cardio.I do fitness blender workouts and sometimes I am near the lower end of the calorie counter and other times Im in the middle(I have a HRM) but even overweight I never burned anything near the upper part. its all a guessing game really.but hey getting up and doing something is better than nothing
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...while not 100% correct...

I think what you mean is "somewhere between 1% and 100% correct.

HRMs aren't going to give a reliable or consistent estimation of calorie expenditure.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »

Whilst I can see the logic, that approach is very dependent on ones calorie goal, and just how much expenditure there is in training. In the example cited the originator is unlikely to be burning more than 100 calories, and probably somewhat less. Against a 2000cal per day target there's not much wrong with not eating back at all, against a 1200cal target that's a fairly significant shortfall.

Similarly if one goes out and runs 10K that's in the order of 500-600 calories, so against a 2000cal target is quite significant.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

HRMs aren't going to give a reliable or consistent estimation of calorie expenditure.

never said they did I said while they arent 100% correct they are more accurate for steady state cardio. hiit they would not be because its not steady state but she can still get an estimate and cut that in half and go from there. even the calories MFP gives are an estimate and dont work for everyone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

never said they did I said while they arent 100% correct they are more accurate for steady state cardio. hiit they would not be because its not steady state but she can still get an estimate and cut that in half and go from there. even the calories MFP gives are an estimate and dont work for everyone.

Probably a question of framing. I'd infer from "not100%" an error of +/-10% at worst rather than the reality of +/-90%
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »

Oops - misinterpreted.

What @MeanderingMammal said.
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My goal is to "Never" eat back calories!
    Sometimes I goof and do get a few in there - But that is Not my Goal!
  • carolgrn
    Options
    even the calories MFP gives are an estimate and dont work for everyone.
    Anybody who expects the calorie burn MFP states is Way off the charts.
    MFP calorie burns are probably approximately 40-50% over stated
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The best you can do is get a HR strap and use an app that bases its calculations on heart rate. Most of them will then let you go back to the heart rate log during the workout and let you see your highs and lows. A true HIIT workout will show peaks and valleys during the whole workout. Most people will do 20-30 seconds at their maximum effort, then slow down to a moderate effort or low effort for up to two minutes then repeat. The idea is to set your body up to burn calories throughout the day with the 'afterburn' effect which really can't be measured. Just keep in mind that if you do use a HR strap figure the estimates it gives you with the app are likely inflated up to 30%, so never eat back at least 30% of those calories. I've been using a Polar H7 strap and an app called Endomondo for over a year now. By only allowing myself to eat back up to 60-70% of the calories it tells me I've burned I've been able to continuously lose weight (or maintain which is what I'm doing now) without issues. The thing about a HR monitor is that the ones that are most accurate are the straps (imho). The ones on the wrist are usually not all that accurate so their calorie counts may be off even more.

When I use my Bowflex M5 on its HIIT setting, it runs me for 14 minutes, starts out asking me to go at my maximum for 20 seconds, then gives me a minute and a half at a lower rate to cool down. It does this consistently for the 14 minutes. Calorie burn on the machine usually shows around 250-300 calories (the machine reads my heart rate but doesn't use it for calculations), Endomondo shows around 225 or so which is based on my heart rate during that 14 minutes. I go by Endomondo's calculations and have not been sorry. My HR will go down to 115-125 at the lower rates during the workout and go up to 155 during the maximum effort stage.

Just never use a HR monitor and an app to track calories during exercise like weight training. Unless you can keep your heart rate around 115-120 or above it just isn't very accurate (I have not found any app that is). HR monitors are best for cardio exercises.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    carolgrn wrote: »

My goals is to "never" put gas back in my car. Sometimes I drive it and it tells me it's out of gas and then it won't move until I put more gas in - but that's not my goal.
  • sijomial
    Options
    When you get to maintenance you are going to have a problem!
    For everyone?
    For every exercise?
    You know this how exactly?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    even the calories MFP gives are an estimate and dont work for everyone.
    Anybody who expects the calorie burn MFP states is Way off the charts.

not talking about MFP calorie burns Im talking about the calories they give you to eat.I should have elaborated on what I meant
  • carolgrn
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    When you get to maintenance you are going to have a problem!

Please explain - I thought that you should never eat back the calories you have burned - - - OH - You did say Maintenance
    For everyone? There have been Many people that have stated that to me
    For every exercise? Every exercise I have checked against my Polar is off
    You know this how exactly? Just by other mfp users statements and my own observations