Burning 3000 calories from work?

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently found myself a summer part-time job, and my Fitbit has been calculating my TDEE to be anywhere from 2200-3000 calories and step counts of 16000+ on the days I work. Because my job requires a lot of arm movement, I've put my Fitbit Charge HR in my shirt to reduce the likelihood of falsely recorded steps. I did a test for just walking, and the steps counted are accurate, but I'm not sure how the steps read when I perform other tasks. I DO move and walk a lot, gathering and pushing rows of shopping carts from the parking lot, bagging and unloading groceries, for a six to eight hour shift. However, I wonder if all of that really burns so much calories. I'm NOT complaining, but I just want to be accurate. It's only been a week, so it's too soon to tell if eating that much is the right amount, but I want to hear from you all.
Does that TDEE sound right to you?
I'm 20 years old, female, maintain on 108-114lbs, and about 5'2".

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is not a pedometer. It isn't supposed to only measure when your feet move. It measures when your body is in motion. If your arms are moving you are active and burning calories above your BMR.

And yes those numbers sound legit. I also have a highly active/physical job. My TDEE is around 3,500 but I am twice your weight and age.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is not a pedometer. It isn't supposed to only measure when your feet move. It measures when your body is in motion. If your arms are moving you are active and burning calories above your BMR.

And yes those numbers sound legit. I also have a highly active/physical job. My TDEE is around 3,500 but I am twice your weight and age.

Not just this, but if your heart rate is high enough it's basing your calorie burn off of that rather than the steps. I'm in retail and I've pushed carts before. I know how physical that can be by itself.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options

malibu927 wrote: »

Not just this, but if your heart rate is high enough it's basing your calorie burn off of that rather than the steps. I'm in retail and I've pushed carts before. I know how physical that can be by itself.

Thank you so much for the reassurance you two! :) It's awesome that I have eat well above 2k, and even 3k calories at my height and weight to maintain, all because of my job. I chose a great job for sure!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

My fitbit one only measures steps. I can spend an hour on an exercise bike and it won't register at all. It also didn't pick up motions from body pump (except steps taken).

I do agree, though, that the numbers OP gave are well within reason.