Taking glucose with protein isolate?

At my Supplement Superstore, they pushed me on this expensive Protein Isolate (Phormula-1) and glucose (Ignition), both the brand 1st Phorm. They explained to me that the combo was beneficial in resistance training because the glucose is necessary in conjunction with the isolate to make my body tap into getting the most from the protein. Does anyone know about the science behind this? Is this just a sham to get me to buy more products or is there really some kind of amino-acid benefit here? To me, glucose is just the same sugar found in honey and pineapple sans fiber..... SOS - my wallet could use your advice.

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    It sounds a lot like a sham. As far as I know, the only benefit to glucose is that in diabetics experiencing hypoglycemia (low blood sugars), pure glucose raises the blood sugar more quickly than table sugar (sucrose) or fruit (primarily fructose), because the glucose doesn't need to go to the liver to be processed into the body's preferred source of carb/sugar (glucose).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Sales talk I think. Muscles take up amino acids without extra insulin but you get an insulin response to the protein anyway so the glucose is not necessary and in any case a slice of white bread would do the same.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2016
    So yes, misinformation of the facts and/or sales pitch to get you to buy something you "probably" don't need. I say "probably" as since we don't know your training modality and goals, it's purely an assumption.

So here is the linked science behind the use of an intra-workout carbohydrate.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23846824

So yes, there is some science behind it, but the primary variable is the intensity in conjunction with duration of training involved. If you are an athlete whose training regimen takes you 2+ hours of moderate to high intensity exercise to complete, then it will have bearing. If you are a normal gym go-er, then not warranted and your wallet can be spared the expense.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 2016
    Hmmm...protein with glucose. Interesting combination but it sounds an awful lot like the combination found in a piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter. And me thinks the bread/peanut butter combo blast is better tasting and contains more nutrients
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    I think you've been duped unfortunately. It's a common misconception that you need to eat more protein to build muscles. In fact almost all of us eat too much protein anyway. The recommendations are not universally agreed. They are not based on research but by collecting data on what people actually eat.
    Like excess vitamins, excess protein is excreted (mainly in the faeces.).
    The glucose is not a great idea if you are dieting, but it won't give you a sugar rush, it'll just add empty calories to your daily toll.
    The way to build muscle is to exercise and ensure you are eating a balance of protein, carbohydrate and fats. You'll get this easily from any vaguely sensible diet sheet, website or book.
    Don't go back to that health shop. It was money down the drain, quite literally!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    They have a vested interest in selling supplements and pushing broscience nonsense (in order to sell more supplements). You can get all the carbs and protein you need from food. Having said that if you feel the need for a little hit before working out try a cup of coffee and a banana.