Wanting to gain mass, what should my macros be?

Options
I am new to weightlifting and I have lost 100 pounds over the past year purely by long distance running and a low carb diet but I am at the point were I am too skinny and have very little muscle mass. I have been told that I need to start bulking but i don't know exactly how much proteins, fats, and carbs and total calories i should be consuming and on which days. The program i started has me weightlifting every other day and every other day i usually do some sort of cardio. i weigh 145 lbs and i wish to gain muscle mass so if anyone has any idea roughly the macros i should consume or if you got any tips for a beginner like me i would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Macros should be calculated in terms of grams. Protein is generally recommend at .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, fats are .35-.6g per lb of lean body mass, and carbs to be the rest. Hopefully, your new workout program is a structured one, but if not, the below list is full of programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • gareths1980
    gareths1980 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Macros should be calculated in terms of grams. Protein is generally recommend at .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, fats are .35-.6g per lb of lean body mass, and carbs to be the rest. Hopefully, your new workout program is a structured one, but if not, the below list is full of programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Hi @psulemon, you say lean body mass. My current weight is 77kg but according to body comp scales my muscle is 64kg, should I be basing my Macros on 64 or 77?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Hi @psulemon, you say lean body mass. My current weight is 77kg but according to body comp scales my muscle is 64kg, should I be basing my Macros on 64 or 77?

If your scale would be right, it would be based on the 64kg. So 64*2.205 = 140g of protein.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    what is your body fat %
  • laurencepoole96
    laurencepoole96 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i have a body fat % of 20.5%
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Pro: 92 - 116g
    Fats: 45g - 70g
    Carbs the rest..

This can be adjusted for satiety or personal eating style. But that is the baseline i would shoot for.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Minor nitpick. I thought the protein and fats are minimum amounts and remaining calories can be distributed among all macros, not that remaining HAS to be carbs. Am I wrong?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Minor nitpick. I thought the protein and fats are minimum amounts and remaining calories can be distributed among all macros, not that remaining HAS to be carbs. Am I wrong?

You are correct. You can increase pro or fat based on personal preference and satiety.