I have a problem. I get paranoid whenever I eat junk.

blopmiyers
blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
This is my background, I was obese for the majority of my life, last year I was 5'6 and 220lbs. I'm now 5'8 and 135 lbs. I try to eat as clean as possible, however, whenever I go to a party and eat a slice of cake I make a huge deal out of it and I think that I'll gain a large amount of weight. My current daily calorie intake is 2500 (bulking up) I know I have to eat a lot and I do but when I eat junk I just get paranoid at the fact that I just ate a lot of sugar,fat etc.

Replies

• morg987
    morg987 Posts: 7 Member
    Well congrats on your weight loss from 220lbs that's fantastic! No wonder your getting paranoid as you probably don't want to go back there! It sounds like you've got a lot of motivation to maintain what you have achieved but that's certainly not fun to be paranoid about food that should be a treat and enjoyed at free will!
    It depends, how often are you having these treat foods? And how much are you having? Allowing yourself the occasional treat is absolutely fine and a normal part of a balanced life. If it is the case that you actually don't want it because you don't feel like it, choose a healthier option or maybe offer to bring a healthier snack.
    Do feel like it? Have the cake, enjoy your piece of real cake and question have I eaten a treat food before at a party? And did I gain a large amount of weight? I'm guessing probably not as you seem very motivated to maintain your weight, believe you have strong will power and try to recognise that it is food it is more calorie dense, but will not lead to immediate weight gain in such a short time!
    If your worried about binging you could try eating a healthy protein meal before hand so you avoid filling up on party food.
    If you'd say you were enjoying these foods maybe a little too often, try to pick/ bring a healthier alternative.
    Try not to get to hung up on it though focus on the people around you and the memories you can create rather than the food.
    I hope this helps
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Think of it this way. Is that one slice of cake the root of your previous weight gain? Probably not. I think if we allow ourselves the occasional treat it's not going to derail us. Now if you said you ate an entire cake by yourself, then I could understand the guilt. I'm not even to my goal weight yet and I allow myself some kind of junk food or treat at least once daily. It keeps me sane so I don't feel like I'm restricting this or that and also less likely to binge.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2016
    You should allow yourself a treat every now and then, within reason. Completely cutting these things out and being too tight can result in a long, boring life, where eventually, you might just binge-out from being too uptight about enjoying yourself, every now and then. I have a few friends who've done extreme diets where they don't allow themselves anything fun and they've gone totally off the deep end at times and just pigged out. Had they maintained a healthy a diet and allowed themselves something fun to eat on occasion, this, likely, wouldn't have happened.
  • hlnebel
    hlnebel Posts: 71 Member
    If this is just a once in a while thing, think about the last time you had a treat, and how long ago it was. Now imagine that slice of cake you're about to eat divided up over all those days since your last treat. Not so scary anymore, is it? :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You grew 2 inches in the last year? How old are you OP?

That's what I was just about to ask..
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Rethink what you consider "healthy" foods by broadening the definition. That will help you with your anxiety. Remember too that you need a certain amount of oils.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Orthorexia
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    How is a slice of cake junk food?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    How is a slice of cake junk food?
    Because it will make you gain weight the instant you eat it.

I would consider counseling, especially if you're still young. Averting sweets isn't necessarily a bad thing, but this seems beyond that
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    I know exactly how you feel. I was overweight all my life. I went from 262 to 165 in a little over a year. And for a while it was like OMG I ate over my calories today. I'm going to wake up and weigh 20 lbs more. Of course that is impossible, and my rational mind knows it, but that doesn't stop the impulse. The good news is as time has gone by and I've gained confidence in my ability to maintain my current weight, that impulse is slowly going away.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    OP--anyone under 18 should be on sparkteens.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You grew 2 inches in the last year? How old are you OP?

Young. I'm 18 years old.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    If eating too much junk was what caused you to be overweight to begin with, I can totally understand why you might be fearful of eating junk now even in limited quantities. Sometimes there is a slippery slope that leads right back to eating the "old way" and regaining all the weight (eventually).

Logging should be able to help with this, because it wasn't the cake that made you overweight originally, it was the total of everything you were eating being too much. If you put in your calories and you have 80% good stuff and a piece of cake to hit your 2500 calorie limit, you are doing GREAT and no need at ALL to feel bad about it! You could do that every single day and have a healthy overall eating plan. Keep logging and see what happens and your fear should lessen in time.