I don't add my exercise on my diary on purpose.

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    I always add my exercise except normal daily living, such as walking, house cleaning, etc. I never eat my exercise calories!
    I don't want to maintain, I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT! But do whatever YOU need to do to keep on track. B)

I don't think you understand how MFP works. Eating your exercise calories keeps you at the deficit you asked for. Also, faster weight loss is not necessarily better.

This 'cause well said, and true.
  • sssuscello
    sssuscello Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP to calculate my daily calorie intake I use the macro guidelines from IIFYM and those figure in workout calories. I can see how this might not work for everyone since you have to commit to working out the days 2 , 3, 4 whatever days a week you put in as workout days but I feel the calorie but I rather my estimated burn be incorporated instead of estimated by MFP. So basically I use MFP to make sure I hit my entered calories and macros and ignore the "workout calories" otherwise I'll be way over.
  • theresakruse48
    theresakruse48 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My MFP is set for 1200 calories a day. I do calisthenics in the pool ( because of bad knees and back) 5-6 days a week at 1.5 hours per day..about 855-900 calories burnt per exe rcise bout. I do not eatback my exercise calories this only maybe 60 of them.BUT I am on HMR Decision Free MEDICALLY SUPERVISED diet. I have lost 34 pounds since March 22 of this year. I just recently added MFP back because I got a Garmin and it helps track with MFP. Also, HMR has its own app. So, I have multiple apps and people tracking me. Weight loss this fast is awesome but ONLY Medically Supervised...just my 2 cents :smile:
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I started out at 270, 5'5.5". I'm 181 now. I eat back all of my exercise calories. This has worked very well for me. But some people can't eat back their exercise calories. Everyone is different. But when I read these posts, I always wonder if the poster has tried the MFP formula to see if it works BEFORE deciding that she shouldn't eat back her exercise calories.
  • blackaheep4288
    blackaheep4288 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started at 418lbs. Under my Dietitian and drs guidelines I started at 2k calories a day as my max. I see both monthly. It's been 4 months. I'm now eating 1800 calories daily, regardless of my calories burned. I average around 600-800 calories burned 3-4 times a week that I don't eat back. This is time spent a the gym, not my total throughout the day. I usually have some sort of a snack when I get back from the gym around 100-150 calories. My diary is open to the public to view if you'd like to take a look. I'm down 68.8lbs as of yesterday(day 120). I feel like it's not for everyone doing it this way. It's someth
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    The lot of you don't even realize the "SOUND advice", as you put it, you give is only your OPINION not Nutritionists and Bariatric Surgeon's True Facts to weight loss. YOU may believe what you want, but "your SOUND advice" will only work for 7% of the people following it. So your way probably won't even work for you NOR the people you're dispensing it to.

I eat all of my fitbit calories burned/daily adjustment while LOSING weight. Because I entered into MFP that I want to LOSE weight. So MFP gives me the number to LOSE weight, even while increasing my calorie goal based on activity.

If I ignored my additional calories I would be eating 1600 calories regardless of whether I had a lazy day with around 5,000 - 6,000 steps or a more active day with 10,000+ steps as well as exercise separate from my steps. With my adjustments I eat an average that's around 1900-2000/day and LOSE weight. Those additional 400 calories a day don't make me maintain or gain.

If you understood the NEAT method, you would understand why eating exercise calories maintains your deficit. And if you read enough threads on MFP, you'll see that the experienced users eat their exercise calories in order to appropriately fuel their bodies. Some of them might use the TDEE method, but they're still eating their exercise calories with that method. No idea where your 7% comes from. It's all about a calorie deficit; eating your exercise calories keeps you in a deficit (assuming you are logging as accurately as you can and adjusting based on real world results).

Yup, I'm losing at exactly the rate predicted by my fitbit. I average 2000 calories and am losing 1.5lbs per week.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and started my journey around three weeks ago, so far down 12 pounds. I purposefully do not add exercise onto my diary, despite exercising for 45m-1h every other day. My reason for doing this is that I don't feel like I want to eat more in a day just because I exercised that day. I also haven't seen anywhere else recommend you increase your calories by the amount you burnt in exercise. Admitedly I'm new and am willing to listen why I'm wrong. Thanks.

There are two ways to use MFP. MFP is set to use NEAT so if using MFP as it is set, you should eat back your some or all of your exercise calories. However, if you use the TDEE method, calculate your TDEE less 10-20% for weight loss then eat that each day but do not log your exercise calories. Once you have lost the weight you want, eat to your calculated TDEE but not over or under to maintain. I use the TDEE method and the only caveat is to set your activity level correctly. Personally, I find the TDEE method easier.

RE comment Fitbit - Fitbit and other activity trackers can be set to not send data to MFP. I've used a lot of activity trackers (currently using Apple Watch) and activity apps. While they can send exercise data to MFP, I have them set so they can't. The only thing I have set is MFP sends my calorie intake to Health.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I log mine but do not eat them back.

I log just for record, it wouldn't hurt for you to do that, too.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to eat back your exercise calories - some eat only a portion of them back, as the mfp calorie counts for exercise may be a bit high.

I have lost 33 lbs. using mfp as it is designed and I have lost it SAFELY and SLOWLY. For me, it was dead on with calories and exercise, beginning with a 2 lb/week loss, then 1 lb/week, and finally 1/2 lb/week. Losing faster than this is not recommended unless you are under a medically supervised diet.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this website. Some are doctors, personal trainers, teachers, and many others who have life experience of safe weight loss and have lost and maintained their weight for many years. Their advice is well worth listening to.
  • buffster81
    buffster81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure weather or not I should be eating my exercise calories back, I have 1400 calories a day and work out at the gym burning anything between 350 and 500 calories depending on what I'm doing. Should I be eating more? It's so hard to find the right balance
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    @Hearts_2015
    I dont see it working that way. Even the articles in this app tell you that you dont have to eat back your calories and if you do to try to stick to 25-50% which would still leave me at under 1000 cals a day but i dont exercise everyday. Yes if youre burning a lot everyday like if i was burning 900 calories a day i would need to eat more but i dont. I work out 3 maybe 4 times a week and im only burning maybe 400 calories each time. Plus calories burned are not the exact same as calories eaten.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back the calories I lost from exercising. What I lose from exercising is what I lose as a calories deficit
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I started at 418lbs. Under my Dietitian and drs guidelines I started at 2k calories a day as my max. I see both monthly. It's been 4 months. I'm now eating 1800 calories daily, regardless of my calories burned. I average around 600-800 calories burned 3-4 times a week that I don't eat back. This is time spent a the gym, not my total throughout the day. I usually have some sort of a snack when I get back from the gym around 100-150 calories. My diary is open to the public to view if you'd like to take a look. I'm down 68.8lbs as of yesterday(day 120). I feel like it's not for everyone doing it this way. It's someth

Took a look at your diary. Congrats on your progress so far.

Do you eat all your food at once, or do you just not bother to separate your entries into Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snacks? I've heard there's some benefit to eating smaller meals more often.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you tell MFP you want to lose 1 pound per week, it gives you a calorie goal with a 500 calorie deficit built in. So if you exercise and DON'T eat back those calories, you will lose faster than you said you wanted to. So if you are using MFP calorie goal, you are supposed to eat those calories back (or a portion of them to allow for inaccurate numbers).

If you are seeing a doctor to lose weight, they have hopefully included your exercise calories in whatever goal they gave you.

If you are using a TDEE calculator, your exercise calories have been averaged into your goal, so you don't need to add in your exercise calories.

Losing weight too fast can increase the likelihood of losing more muscle as you lose weight, as well as fatigue and deficiencies due to not properly fueling your body for that exercise. There is no good reason to do this to yourself if you are accurately and consistently logging.