What to do during dinner at friends/family's house--is it rude to bring my food scale?

Options
Kaitou
Kaitou Posts: 50 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Like the title says, do you think it would be rude to bring a food scale with me to weigh my food when I go over to a friend or family member's house for dinner?

They're making pot roast, and I'm not sure how useful it would be to weigh the food anyway--I won't know exactly how they've prepared it or what amounts of stuff they added.

What's your routine for eating over at other people's houses? Do you just write it off entirely as "no way to tell", make your best estimate, or bring your food scale with you and ask them questions about proportions and ratio of the ingredients?

Replies

• Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A quarter inch thick slice about four inches long for me is about one ounce ...I can usually slice right down to an exact ounce. I know this because many times I'll buy a pot roast, cook it, and slice it up for lunch...it'll last 5 days. Roasts are usually around 70 calories an ounce. I'd say just grab a couple slices and veggies. I think you'll be ok without the scale :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I use the My Plate method in this sort of situation.
  • mrslmdm
    mrslmdm Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    YES terribly rude, you should be able to tell portion sizes, if you don't know them, look them up, there are plenty of examples on the internet that can get you through once in a while. https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVijz_11XQB0AbMMnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Portion+Sizes+By+Sight&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002
  • SamGoingHam
    SamGoingHam Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lmao, I can just picture their reaction while you're weighing their food. Sounds like something I would do. #NOSHAME
    Anywho, I would recommend you just do your best to eyeball it and search for an extreme recipe of what you're eating on MFP. Better to be alittle under than over. IMO.
    Perhaps google size amounts of pot roast to give you a better eyeball accuracy.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The problem with people here is that they assume you should KNOW portion size.... Ahem!... That's the reason why we're here!!! Not controlling the proper portion size we over ate and are now trying to LOSE weight. Buddy, do whatever you need to do to lose the weight. I'd feel comfortable at a family member's/close friend's home. If it's someone I don't know very well, I'd eat a small portion and IF hungry later, I'd eat something else at home. Bon Appetite!!! B)
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Preach eeet :)
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't get all the people saying it would be rude, when most of us use one ourselves. You know your family/friends better than we do, are they the type of people that would consider it rude?

I, for one, wouldn't mind in the least if a friend (or even just an acquaintance) needed to weigh their food before eating. I don't think of it as any different than someone needing specially prepared food for an allergy or a medical condition.