How important is tracking sugar?

Options
Let me clarify a little. I know the consequences of taking in processed sugar but I am talking about sugar from fruits that I juice with my vegetable juices. One apple seems to put me right at my limit for the day (or close to it). Really the only processed sugars I take in are from the coffee cream I use. The rest are from whole fruit that I juice.

Will taking in that much natural sugar be detrimental to my progress?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that is affected by how much sugar you take in? No?

Well then it's not important. Sugar is a carb, why in the world would you track sugar and carbs? Just seems silly.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant and track my carbs rather than sugar.
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As long as you count the calories and don't have any health issues that would be affected, sugar from fruits won't be detrimental to your progress.
  • EndorphineReceptive
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that is affected by how much sugar you take in? No?

Well then it's not important. Sugar is a carb, why in the world would you track sugar and carbs? Just seems silly.

That makes total sense! thank you!
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's not how much sugar (simple carbs) you eat (within limits). It is how fast the sugar is absorbed into your system.

Processed sugars (i.e. added sugar like high fructose corn syrup) are absorbed quickly. If enough are eaten at once, your blood sugar spikes (glucose), insulin spikes, and diabetes type 2 is a possible outcome given long enough and frequent enough sugar spikes.

Naturally occurring sugars are usually (NOT honey!) encased in fiber and other harder to digest stuff. Thus, given the same consumption quantities as the processed sugar above, the naturally occurring sugar will take longer to be absorbed, probably avoiding the "spike" problem.

I do watch my non-natural sugar consumption in my diary.
  • EndorphineReceptive
    Options

Thankfully I don't have to face that challenge, but carb tracking seems to be the way to go! Thank you
  • EndorphineReceptive
    Options
    As long as you count the calories and don't have any health issues that would be affected, sugar from fruits won't be detrimental to your progress.
    I appreciate your input. I didn't want to find out down the road that all my efforts were being held back by something as simple as fruit sugar lol. Thank you
  • EndorphineReceptive
    Options
    It's not how much sugar (simple carbs) you eat (within limits). It is how fast the sugar is absorbed into your system.

Processed sugars (i.e. added sugar like high fructose corn syrup) are absorbed quickly. If enough are eaten at once, your blood sugar spikes (glucose), insulin spikes, and diabetes type 2 is a possible outcome given long enough and frequent enough sugar spikes.

Naturally occurring sugars are usually (NOT honey!) encased in fiber and other harder to digest stuff. Thus, given the same consumption quantities as the processed sugar above, the naturally occurring sugar will take longer to be absorbed, probably avoiding the "spike" problem.

• EndorphineReceptive
    Options

Thank you for that explanation. I did know that with processed sugars there would be detrimental effects, but thank you for elaborating on how the body processes naturally occurring sugars. Much appreciated!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    well, yes, but you shouldn't be juicing anyway for this very reason. juicing anything is just feeding yourself sugar as you have learned. stop juicing.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    you're kidding right? being facetious? just wanted to be sure.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options

Thankfully I don't have to face that challenge, but carb tracking seems to be the way to go! Thank you

Anytime. :)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I also track carbs instead of sugar. I also track iron instead of sodium plus I upped my protein goals and lowered my carb goals.

I love being able to change my settings.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of fruits so I don't apy much attention overall. I do watch processed foods and sugars though.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Great Post !
  • EndorphineReceptive
    Options
    well, yes, but you shouldn't be juicing anyway for this very reason. juicing anything is just feeding yourself sugar as you have learned. stop juicing.

As with anything, there are benefits and drawbacks. I have to measure the cost / benefit of juicing primarily veggies and some fruit for taste, against what would happen if I didn't juice. With juicing I am getting so many more nutrients and the benefits of them compared to what my normal intake would be of vegetables.

In my case the benefit far outweighs the drawbacks and I think it is the better choice for me. I do understand that if I were juicing primarily fruit, then I would have to reconsider this position, but that is not the case.

I appreciate your input and a different perspective.
  • EndorphineReceptive
    Options
    Yeah, I also track carbs instead of sugar. I also track iron instead of sodium plus I upped my protein goals and lowered my carb goals.

I love being able to change my settings.

Absolutely! The ability to adjust depending on what works for you is amazing! It will take some time for me to play around with the nutrition and tweak the tracking to reflect what my body needs, but that is part of getting to know yourself with a better lifestyle.
  • zimmerem
    zimmerem Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I think sugar is one of the main things you should be tracking. It's the root of all evil with weight gain. Sugar, whether from fruit or from processed sources causes a spike in insulin. This insulin spike is what causes it to be stored as fat. While fruit is obviously not bad for you, on a weight loss journey, it should be limited. I'd recommend eating it in the morning, and accompany it with a fat or protein source to slow down its digestion, AKA lower its glycemic index. The fruits that are lowest on the glycemic index are berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc..)
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I have found, for me, keeping my sugar low (no matter what the source) makes my body burn more fat for energy, instead of using the sugar floating around my system. Not saying that calories in/calories out doesn't work, but I lose faster this way. Of course my carb intake is lower as a result...
    Just sharing my personal experience.
  • EndorphineReceptive
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I think sugar is one of the main things you should be tracking. It's the root of all evil with weight gain. Sugar, whether from fruit or from processed sources causes a spike in insulin. This insulin spike is what causes it to be stored as fat. While fruit is obviously not bad for you, on a weight loss journey, it should be limited. I'd recommend eating it in the morning, and accompany it with a fat or protein source to slow down its digestion, AKA lower its glycemic index. The fruits that are lowest on the glycemic index are berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc..)

That was my understanding, although you described it much better than I could. Thank you