My body fat % is below 30, maybe

Options
JeromeBarry1
JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
Because it's an impedance method of calculating.

I've been checking my bf% and muscle % occasionally since January. As I've lost weight, the bf% went from as high as 41.4 in February to 27.8 when I checked it tonight. That's something I want to crow about, even though I expect someone to rain on my parade by explaining how impedance measurements are not accurate.

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    They're inaccurate, but not that inaccurate! Way to go!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • 75poundstogo
    75poundstogo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! Youre a perfectionist that gets results
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    My November saw very little weight loss and 4 out-of-control overeating days. It was my worst month since beginning in January. Still, I knew I wanted to check my body fat reading today. Big surprise!

BF% from the same device is 19.0%
    Muscle has increased to 37.5%. It had been 34.1% on September 24.

I don't have records of what the "visceral fat" reading has been at the intervals of checking this year, but today that number was 9%.

• JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Does that mean that 43.5% of me is bones and internal organs? Does that make any sense?
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When you're adding up percentages to get to 100%, you have to consider the "other stuff" in your body too... the contents of your colon, water/blood/other liquids, your skin, etc. Therefore, I would say that 43.5% number is not all bones and organs.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    I didn't get around to checking in January. Here's the numbers today. Same device. Same time of day and hopefully the same level of hydration.

BF 15.9%
    Visceral fat 9%
    BMI 26.7
    Muscle 39.0%

I definitely don't look like a dude with 16% body fat.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    How did you check this? And congrats!!!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    I have been using an Omron scale which measures the electrical impedance of a current up one leg and down the other and it then infers everything using only my height and weight. I read somewhere that these devices are liable to be wrong by 6%, which still has my bf% below 30%.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have been using an Omron scale which measures the electrical impedance of a current up one leg and down the other and it then infers everything using only my height and weight. I read somewhere that these devices are liable to be wrong by 6%, which still has my bf% below 30%.

I would say they are off by more than 6%.I would get a dexascan if possible. that at least would be a lot more accurate.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As long as you are using the same device each time. At least it will give u an idea if the degreee of change. Congrats
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Yesterday I got out and looked for a mythical farmer's market in this small town, and found not it. What I did find was some kind of organized crossfit event. Today I googled 'crossfit mytown' and found my way to signing up for free hystrostatic body fat testing. My appt is June 3.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!