Torn Plantar Fascia - I've tried everything! HELP!

Options

Replies

• ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been reading that you want to do the opposite that the shoe store did. Using insoles is weakening your muscles in your foot. Being barefoot and using zero drop minimalist shoes may actually help you better. They help you get back into a natural stride vs heavy heal padded and arch supported shoes that cause bad mechanics. Heel striking when running may be the cause of your heel spur and injury in the first place. Most places can give you something to treat the symptom but it doesn't fix the underlying cause of the pain. Since I switch to a zero drop shoe I took it slow walking then running short distances but I could definitely feel a difference in my feet and different muscles engaging in my calves. The arch on my right foot was giving me aches before and I was getting low arches which is what motivated me to look for what would be better. There are plenty of products out there to support them but none claimed to reverse the problem until I started looking at minimalist/barefoot running. That's when I started to see more testimonials and claims to actually reverse foot pain and arch problems.

Here's a site that gets more technical about it if you care to read:
    http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2013/03/17/arch-foot-naturally-cure-plantar-fasciitis-meaning-artificial-supports/
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Turns out that my feet were a good fit for a pair of men's Brooks (I am a female!) I also ended up with a new pair of heat moldable arch supports by Montrail. At the time, the shoes fit great with the insole. I wore them all day yesterday and all day today. My left foot hurts WAY worse today than it has in months. Did I make a mistake spending $200 on the shoes and arch supports? The shoes were $160 - hands down the most I have ever spent on a pair of tennis shoes. The insoles were $40. The shoe place did tell me that I have 30 days to wear the hell out of the shoes and if I am not satisfied, I can bring them back and exchange for another pair. I'm wondering if my foot just needs time to adjust to better shoes?

I have worn dr prescribed & created arch insoles for years, for PF, but nothing like you have been thru though. I did the same sort of thing, went to a running store, got fitted, etc.....I can't seem to wear my Brooks with my prescribed insoles, they kill my feet. So I figured that maybe I just don't need them with this new shoe. Been about a week without & while my feet are somewhat better, my lower back is killing me. I have no idea if these are related, but I'm baffled and a little disappointed. Epsom salt soaks are my go-to when I need some soothing for my feet.
  • mark511
    mark511 Posts: 2
    Options
    Pay attention to what ngyoung said on Aug. 16. I took him up and bought some New Balance minimalist shoes and right away my foot felt better and now a few days into them my foot feels much better. Those inserts the doctor was pushing on it only aggravated my condition. I am so glad I read his post!!!
  • Kezzanna
    Kezzanna Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had the cortisone injection which hurt a lot and I got very little relief from. The exercises I did was balancing on my toes. Calf stretches, rolling a frozen water bottle under my foot while sitting on the lounge, rolling a tennis ball under my foot while sitting on the lounge, picking up marbles with my toes and putting in a plastic cup. The brooks trance women's runners were recommended, but they are about half a size smaller than regular runners, so I had to go up half a size. I had some trouble initially while my feet readjusted to being properly aligned. I also got the light feet socks which are meant to help support your feet. The orthoheel moraga sandals were my saviour also. I sometimes give them a cushion break and wear fit flops - which do cushion, but don't align your feet. And not walking around the house with no shoes - something I always did and apparently makes it worse. A friend swears by her Birkenstocks, but I've yet to try them. I haven't had any trouble in the last 18 months, but I do live in my sneakers and orthoheels ... With the occasional day in non- supportive shoes.
  • Kezzanna
    Kezzanna Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I should elaborate on the tip toe thing- slowly lowering myself up and down on tiptoe - even better if its on the edge of a step so you can go lower. I also used anti-inflammatries. If it makes you feel any better - the first pair of brooks trance runners I bought cost $289 here in oz. Subsequent pairs I've bought from overseas for between $100-$140. I know the scholl orthoheel moraga sandals (like supportive flip flops) have a new version out, but I can't remember the new name! They cost between $40-$90 in oz depending on where you go (jim Kidd is the cheapest here). I'm lucky that I can get away with sneakers at work. The shoes that you wear the most often need to be supportive and cushion. If you can bend them in the middle - they're no good. Scholl orthoheel also do other shoes, but I've yet to try the others. A friend buys their 'granny' looking shoes and takes out the insert and puts it in her sneakers. Light massage can help, but ensure its light! My partner would try and nearly put me through the roof cos he'd do it quite hard. If I wear non-supportive shoes for too long I do get a twinge and I know it's time to put the sneakers of orthoheels back on for awhile
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    You may need to continue trying the shoes - i wouldn't assume they're bad yet. Pasting this from my reply to another thread asking for PF suggestions:

I've had if for more than 4 years, and had it under control for the last 2. These are the things that worked for me:

- Get a pair of (real) Birkenstocks. Wear them like house shoes - never walk barefoot, slip on your birks straight out of bed and wear them as much as possible. I wear them all the time unless I'm working out or at work. Don't get the betula line or any of the narrower spin-offs, just a classic Birkenstock.

- Get a pair of Birkenstock insoles and wear them in all your flat (non-high-heel) shoes - sneakers (not for working out, but daily kicks), loafers, boots, etc.. Birkenstock insoles fit in all flat shoe styles except for really skinny dress flats. They are pricey, but you can move one pair between all of your shoes.

- the birkenstocks & insoles provide awesome arch support and keep some of the weight off the center of your heels by redistributing it across your foot and to the edges of your heels. They are far more effective than soft insoles, which make everything squishy but your weight is still distributed the same way

- Get some Strassburg socks to sleep in. They are super unsexy, but they keep your foot flexed while you sleep and so that the facia can't get as inflamed. I've tried the cheaper CVS boot styles - the sock is better/more effective and easier to sleep in.

- stretch the minute you get out of bed, and before you go to bed. Downward dog is your friend.

-if you can afford it, see a physical therapist who does ART (active release technique) or Graston technique. I've tried a lot of methods, and these are the ones that have worked for me. The podiatrist was happy to give me prescription meds and squishy insoles and let me just live in pain - the PT actually helped me recover. My insurance covers PT, so I can go for just a co-pay- but otherwise it can get pricey. Look for a sports medicine PT, not just one that focuses on rehab exercises.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I did every single thing mentioned here--cortisone, custom orthotics, orthaheel shoes, stretches, ice, ibuprofen, PT, you name it. You know what finally took caremof my PF? Surgery. I know you don't want to have it, but honestly, it was a lifesaver for me.
  • PeterDegenPortnoy
    Options
    I just came across your post and questions and read the entire thread. It seems to me that many of the answers ignored your original issue; that you have torn your plantar fascia. I am interested in this because I was just diagnosed with a partial tear of the plantar fascia (PF) and am very interested in learning how you've progressed in the past two months or so.

The podiatrist explained that, like a broken bone, a torn PF needs to be kept immobile to allow it to heal. But a key point is that this is a partial tear. Mine is in the part that connects to the big toe (the medial branch). Was your doctor able to characterize your tear?

To immobilize the PF, he has advised my to tape the bottom of my foot using a very specific pattern to pull the sole of the foot upwards, but not having the tape extend past heel or the ball of the foot. He asked me to come back after 6-8 weeks for a follow up. Did you have a follow up with your podiatrist? If so, what was the result? Do you feel the podiatrist answered all your questions and concerns?

I would greatly appreciate hearing how this has come along for you. Thanks
  • mom2jj
    mom2jj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues as you. One thing I was told was that when you get new shoes and new arches you have to break them in by wearing them a little at a time. You might have worn them for too long a period. I started wearing mine an hour at a time until I got used to them.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I got after moving heavy furniture upstairs - too much pressure on my foot from pulling upwards. I can sympathise, the pain is awful especially when walking. Dont know if this help- I couldnt get a doctors appt quickly so I decided to try and support the area where it hurt so I used athletic support tape binding around the front of the heel to pull it back and also around, over the top of the foot to support this, I found that this helped enough so I could walk more easily and after a few week the pain got better, no probs since.
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had PF and it still hits me every now and then. Pretty painful I know. Not alot my Podiatrist did for me either. It eventually recovered with daily ice soaks. Fill up a tub or whatever you have with ice and water and sit there. It may seem pretty uncomforatable(especially in winter) but in time it will work. Follow up with one of those shiatsu foot massage things. Mine is from sharper image and it has a heat setting. If you don't have one, get one!
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    This information has been great, thank you for posting this question. I wear work boots all day and used insoles from my doctor last time to ease the pain and heal. That first step in the morning is like a nail right into your heal. Hope youre able to find some relief soon email4jenp
  • Nachellejannetti
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PT in early March of this year. I could have actually written your post myself-except that I also tried acupuncture, 3 different physical therapist, casts and boots, taping, multiple pairs of insoles (ranging $-$$$), multiple work out shoes ($$$), three different overnight splints, including the sock and a very cumbersome orthopedic boot. I was even told by one doc that I could be going through early menopause. SERIOUSLY!? I had pain regardless of my daily activity. I went from running 25 miles per week to literally being couch bound and becoming quickly depressed. Pain was excruciating in the morning, despite stretching with bands prior to getting out of bed, moderate to severe throughout the day (again regardless of if I was on them or sitting) and then back to severe pain at night even when I elevated them.
    When this started, I was in pretty descent shape, well within my weight range and very active. As of two days ago, I am almost completely sedentary and have gained close to 20 lbs.
    I finally got an appointment (2 months waiting) with a highly recommended foot/ankle specialty clinic. MRI showed tears in both PF along with bone/heal spurs which had already been diagnosed.
    I am two days post-op, and already, the constant ache and throbbing (in my right foot only) has already subsided. There is no guarantee this will work, but my surgeon gave it an 80% success rate and I am a very optimistic person. Recovery is a little lengthy, but with what I have already endured, well worth it with Gods go Grace!
  • sarahhbilski
    Options
    I hope you have some relief soon! I ended up having surgery because nothing was working. I had PF in both feet and was torn in the left. Recovery has been extremely easy and wish I did it sooner! I had the surgery only in left foot but he did plasma injections in both feet. It is suppose to help induce that healing processes! You should ask your DR about it!

http://www.hss.edu/condition-list_prp-injections.asp
  • averillo
    averillo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have PF for 3 months now - I tried everything as well was in a boot cast for a month - I think that made it worse. I found a Chiropractor that does Active Release Technique and in 2 visits (15 minute sessions) the pain is almost gone. I highly recommended seeking out someone that can deliver this treatment. The pain of PF is unbearable and like many others I was very active prior to this injury - I'm happy to say I'm on the road to recovery.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I too have super high arch feet and PT from it. I make sure to always exercise my feet and go barefoot to keep my foot flexible. BUT
    If you have a tear, it doesn't make sense to me to keep trying to exercise it.

I know someone who has very bad PT and had a tear. Her Dr put her in a special walking cast so there was no pressure on her foot. You should ask about something like that
  • kellyemcdowell1
    Options
    How are you now? what actually helped? I have a ruptured plantar fascia and the ortho dr. did not even tell me to immobilize. Day 10 and pain is still ongoing. Just given 15 mg of NSAID. Do not want to further damage, but seems like the pain is less when I am ON my feet!
  • lisaberries
    lisaberries Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have it too. I started running again after three years. I made the huge mistake of STARTING OUT running barefoot on the beach three miles. I started walking that same stretch two weekends and then bam right into the running. Huge huge huge mistake. I ran fine the first couple of weekends. Then the pain started. I thought i was just weak (mentally) so i just ran through the pain. I thought i was just getting old so i just ran through the pain. I thought i was just out of shape so i just ran through the pain. I ran through the pain from July to September, at which point i couldn't even run from my house to the end of the road (which you can do before you even get half way through the alphabet song!). Enter DOCTORS. Achilles tendonopathy. Calcium on posterior heel. Plantar Fascia. 'Rest. Ice. Buy some insoles.' I rested, iced, and bought. And i bought new Brooks running shoes at one of those measure me and watch me walk places. To no avail. I have since spent hundreds on inserts, soft splints, dorsal night splints, boot night splints. I'm about ready to just cut off my foot at the ankle. As i sit here at my desk with my inserts and my Alegria sensible shoes, I am putting my right toes against my left heel and shaking my head at the pain from such a light touch through my shoe. I have a 'Heel That Pain' night boot and set of heel cups on their way from the HTP website. That's my last shot. I have been in pain since July and now it's November. Okay, i did it to myself in the beginning but sheesh....c'mon running karma gods, do i really deserve all these months of pain for my stupidity?? Please tell me, hav you found relief at all? If so, what helped? i'm desperate. And desperate to run again.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My pf was only transient--not nearly as bad as yours... I would wear the shoes a couple more times (within the return period) to see if it resolves at all.

One of my favorite treatments is to take a can of soda or beer and pop it in the freezer during my workout. After working out I would roll my foot out on that. Something about the aluminum made it feel really good and cold!