Getting angry during workouts

Options
When I started losing weight I set a goal of 120 pounds. I have lost 70 so far and have another 50 to goal and will evaluate when there. Up til now I wasn't consistent with workouts but always made sure to move my body.

I have noticed something that is disturbing to me while working out. I get very angry easily. My personalty is more laid back and it takes a lot to get me angry. But seriously this is freaking me out. My workout got interrupted yesterday and I blew up. One of the biggest fights me and my fiance had in the six years we have been together.

After the workouts I am fine I actually have more energy and feel great. Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    maybe, if you are working out hard your body is making endorphins and other things and they are addictive . Lots of people get pissed when their workouts are interrupted. For me my workout is my special zen time. I get anxious and panicky feeling when i think i'm gonna be late to my workout, and if i'm gonna miss a workout i'm pissed at whatever caused it.
    Also when we go through big physical changes like losing a lot of weight, it can break down our relationships because we are changing not just physically but inside as well and some partners can't handle the change.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't know your backstory (and am not asking for it) but one of my revelations from about a year ago was that I had to be "selfish" in terms of making time for getting my workouts done. Making the change to using time for myself was a big deal, even though the "me" time when I was fat was wasted. Friends and family may not understand your new priorities. Give them time to adjust, just like it's taken you time to get to that space.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My husband's like that, he gets angry when somebody disturbs him when he's working out and after he's finished, he's alright.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I get angry like that during and sometimes after a work out when I am over trained. Have to find that balance.
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight I set a goal of 120 pounds. I have lost 70 so far and have another 50 to goal and will evaluate when there. Up til now I wasn't consistent with workouts but always made sure to move my body.

I have noticed something that is disturbing to me while working out. I get very angry easily. My personalty is more laid back and it takes a lot to get me angry. But seriously this is freaking me out. My workout got interrupted yesterday and I blew up. One of the biggest fights me and my fiance had in the six years we have been together.

After the workouts I am fine I actually have more energy and feel great. Does anyone else do this?

Your not alone, I have a gym in my basement and if my wife or daughter come down and get in my way I get so angry
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I actually have to say no to this one. I might not enjoy loosing count during my set/reps from someone walking in the room, but never get angry..

Maybe you are turning into a Beast.. Put a sign on the door that days Enter at Your Own Risk!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Oh yikes, angry?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Getting angry at being interrupted is understandable. Not the best way to react, but we're all human. I've done it myself. I noticed that back when I was over-doing mindless cardio and was SET on doing 60 - 90 minutes every day that I would get mad if I was interrupted. Probably more at myself because I worried that if I was interrupted I would not finish and then I'd be mad at myself for that.

This is MY experience and I'm not saying that's what happened to the OP. But once I relaxed about the set-in-stone time limits of my workouts I'm much better about it. I still set my boundaries: don't call or text me when I'm at the gym unless someone is dying.
  • vittist
    vittist Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's a theory called Two Factor Theory (Schachter and SInger) that states that the idea exercise releases 'happy hormones' is false and actually that biological changes, such as increases in adrenaline due to exercise, just heighten our emotional state and it is our interpretation of the situation that leads to the type of emotion felt (happy or sad for instance). This would suggest that being angry when exercising is a mental thing and you need to change your way of thinking about it to change to a more positive feeling. I realise, however that this may be harder than it sounds.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like to many MG of supertest!!:)LMAO. J/K
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My workout got interrupted yesterday and I blew up.

You say it like it's a bad thing. B) They don't call it Beast Mode for nothing.

Maybe it's related to the brief increase in testosterone when exercising, who knows. If it's really disruptive, maybe try working out to Barry White. :+1:

Just curious - do you take any medication?
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For some reason I didn't get any notifications for any of this. I am sorry for no replies.

Anyway, I am a stay at home mom. My life revolves around running my home, kids, fiancee and rarely get alone me time. So after the workout blow up and cool down me and him talked and like I explained I have never been selfish with anything but my diet and exercise is mine. Yes a motivator is to be healthy for my family but ultimately it's for me. So since I am on call 24 hours a day the least they can do is give me 30-60 minutes a day to make me better.

I know there are some days me being interrupted is going to be unavoidable. I have two kids under five. But I have learned to take care of them and get them something that can occupy and hold their attention for the time I need. I also do a countdown while working out to let them know how much time I have left.

It's just if I am working out and my fiancee is home he shouldn't let the kids interrupt me no matter what.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, if your fiance is home, he needs to deal with the kids while you are working out. Unless there is an imminent danger or ER visit, he should be able to handle it himself.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Anger is one of the strongest emotions.

Use it to your benefit... I use it in the gym all the time. Best place to outlay that energy.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    lulukittie wrote: »
    Oh yeah, if your fiance is home, he needs to deal with the kids while you are working out. Unless there is an imminent danger or ER visit, he should be able to handle it himself.

This. I think it's a bit normal. May not to the extent of intense anger. I guess I'd say agitation.

I know if there's some people hogging benches at my gym, I throw a mental hissy fit.

Last week, my headphones broke. That was another huff puff fest in my head.
  • louvig
    louvig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never felt anger during workouts. Many other occasions yes but working out with heavy weights actually calms me down and is an escape from every day life.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This sounds like your button is being pushed which triggers a response to a more generic problem between you and fiance. Look at expectations, communication and whether you feel work is being equally shared. If you don't feel your needs are being met, then the exercise anger is likely the tip of the iceberg, and may indicate some basic issues that need to be addressed.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Blow up angry? No, however when I train I train with intensity and commitment and I do NOT like being disturbed for trivial matters.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been here many times, and really wondered what the heck my problem was. Today was the latest in fact. I don't get like that all of the time, sometimes I can be working my butt off and simultaneously be happy-go-lucky. Other times if someone looks at me wrong I just get angry. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this, I was beginning to get freaked out myself lol.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When I am in the zone, I am in my happy place. I don't like folks yanking me out of my happy place.