When does soreness from training go away?

Options
When does the soreness from strength training go away and when is it ok to do the next training session? I had planned on doing it every other day (I only just started!) but what if I'm still very sore? Will I still be able to complete the workout or will I struggle?

Also, does your body adapt to the workouts over time, so that you won't get as sore?

Thanks!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i rest three days between muscle groups. But you can do your workout if you're still sore just do it with very low weight and make it more of a mobility / active recovery type workout. And once you workout out regularly , you wont get as sore as in the beginning
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt, give yourself time. When I start a new program I can barely move the next day and a few weeks out, I'm fine.

It's probably due to a variety of things including slight fluid retention (inflammatory response to exercise damage), so drink water, warm up properly and the best things I find - embrace the soreness and do some more work to get rid of it.

I try to ramp up slowly on new exercise to avoid being truly sore. Better to do a lower volume workout than be out 4-5 days because I can't move.
  • teamsnoop
    teamsnoop Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness can last up to 72 hours. Muscle soreness is created when the muscle fibers are being torn slightly, which helps the muscle adapt to build stronger muscles. After your muscles get sore, they rapidly adapt to reduce further damage from the same exercises, which is called the “repeated-bout” effect. You may consider resting for another day, or two before hitting the same muscle group
  • amiwills
    amiwills Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! What type of warm up should I be doing?
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Never lol. I weight train 3 times a week and the soreness is always present, it just dissipates slowly, just in time to do another session lol. I always do a warm up to get my muscles prepared for what's ahead. I never weight train 2 days in a row as recovery is crucial for muscles to repair. I also take a yoga class and a swim once a week, as really helps eleviate soreness. ..... and lots of baths lol
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    ^ What Clafairy said! Especially after doing weights - you will feel it for a few days after. You get used to it - Epsom Salts baths and Advil help.
  • mbird2132
    mbird2132 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). When I started lifting again after a year off I was sore for a week or so. What helped me was a foam roller and the next workout using lighter weights and doing the movement slowly kinda like letting the weight stretch my muscles. Hope that makes sense.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm always sore! I worked my shoulders yesterday, today I will work a different muscle group and they will be sore, tomorrow will be yet a different muscle group and they will be sore. It generally lasts 1-2 days per muscle group. I agree with mbird2132. The foam roller is your friend. I made my own and it's been a lifesaver!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    amiwills wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! What type of warm up should I be doing?

Any light activity that gets your heart pumping and blood flowing, try your exercise routine with no weights just to get started, active stretching, slow high knees with your arms moving back and forth in front of you, over hear behind your back, again any light movement that gets your blood flowing. You'll find that soreness goes away with this light activity.