Modest goals

Options
Hi all. There are a lot of inspirational people here with ambitious goals - God speed you noble heroes. I just wondered if anyone else has a really modest goal they're aiming for, the sort of thing that will never be announced over epic music by a guy with a movie trailer voice, but would be more appropriate stated blandly to the accompaniment of a child's trumpet and the sound of crickets.

I'm obese and currently can't lift a bag of groceries without puffing and grunting. I've no ambition to have a "normal" BMI. I'm aiming for the lower end of "overweight" and if I can learn to lift 20kg with a smile on my face, I'll consider my work here is done.

Replies

• adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't weight related but it is pretty modest. That being said, the day I can do a flat pushup (on the floor) with good form, I plan to crow it from the rooftops!

And every 5 lbs I have a dance party in the living room when no one is around. Because every little landmark success is worthy of a celebration.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When I was 254lbs, I had a very similar 'modest' goal to you, specifically that I just wanted to be able to wear clothes from normal stores and not plus size stores. I've hit it now, in fact I'm in a size 12 (US8) but now that I'm here, I've reevaluated and have set new goals of being a healthy BMI and being much fitter. It was too much for me to set a goal like I have now back then, it was so far away.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think I didn't have ANY goals really, i just started putting in my food on mfp and then I started weighing myself and as I lost I started to have more energy and WANT to go more. I see so many want to do all these workouts right off the bat and they have all these expectations and then you never hear from them again. So I just kept my head down just nudging along. I'm down nearly 85. Now I guess my goal is to get to the JUST overweight category of bmi. Getting to 100 might be exciting and i'll post stuff on that.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    adoette wrote: »
    Mine isn't weight related but it is pretty modest. That being said, the day I can do a flat pushup (on the floor) with good form, I plan to crow it from the rooftops!

And every 5 lbs I have a dance party in the living room when no one is around. Because every little landmark success is worthy of a celebration.

Me too! I can do inclined pushups on tables and such, can do them off my knees. Still can't do a regular old pushup. But I'm working on it.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should start a YouTube channel where we do announce these goals with an epic voiceover to dramatic music.