How often to weigh yourself?

Options
On Friday I started Metformin due to PCOS and insulin resistance, what metformin does is basically metabolize your sugar. I am taking it to shed some weight after gaining 60 pounds from depo provera. I've been weighing myself everyday because I lost 4 pounds in two days due to the medication and I wanted to keep an eye on it. But now it's only been four days and I feel hopeless because since the 4lbs I lost, I've only been losing about .2lbs. How often should I be weighing myself?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Studies show that those that weigh themselves daily lose more weight.
    But, you need to do what makes you most comfortable.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2016/01/03/weight-loss-scales-daily/77584478/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/daily-weigh-ins_n_6858604.html
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a Withings Body Cardio which bribes you into using it daily by also showing you the weather :) It logs everything to the app/ website. So so good.

It also tells you how good your heart function is but that hasn't kicked in yet, I only got them on Friday.
  • virginiahodgson
    virginiahodgson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! It's a little disheartening but I just have to keep it in my mind that it's going to fluctuate no matter what. Only recording once a week is a great idea!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It depends on your personality. I weigh myself everyday, log it, and take a weekly average for my official weight. However, seeing the daily ups and downs can drive people crazy. If that bugs you, then weigh in once or twice a week. In any case, be sure to look at the long-term 3-4 week progress to see your overall progress on how you're doing. That's the best way to see if you're on the right track or not.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Every 2 weeks or so. The weight of food in your stomach doesn't count as actual bodyweight so I try to avoid weighing myself whenever I've recently consumed a meal.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Once a day at the same time, in the morning right after I wake up, before I shower.
    Record it once a week.
    Weight can vary greatly throughout the day.
  • MrsBaaadger
    MrsBaaadger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I only record my weight once a week.

The same, I find it helps my motivation to weigh daily even if gain a bit as it helps me keep focussed.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily when I work. When I started I had to use the scales in shipping that will weigh thousands of pounds accurately and can be zeroed out. I just continue to do it the same now for consistency. So for me, I weigh myself 5 days a week, 6 if I am lucky and we are working overtime, 7 if I am really lucky and we are working the entire weekend.

I do so everyday before I eat my breakfast or really drink anything.

Some people can't handle seeing the numbers everyday or would rather see a larger jump once a week or whatever. For me it is just a number. It doesn't indicate good or bad, it is just what today's number happens to be. It stays the same or goes down most days during the workweek because I am much more disciplined during then. After the weekend it typically goes up a little and I work it back off during the week. It doesn't mean good or bad, it just means that today, that is how much I weigh. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Someday someone should do a psychology paper on this.
    How closely is this to the type of people that do not look at their checking account because they won't like the numbers.
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Once a week during the same time and lighting. Personally I think the scale is a bad indication of weight loss. Sometimes I eat to much sodium and end up holding water.
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Daily and I use Weightgrapher.com, which graphs your weight loss trend over a longer period of time (default is 10 days). Today the scale said I was 0.6 pounds heavier than I was 10 days ago (depressing) but my weight loss trend is over 1.5 pounds per week, which is my goal (Yay!). Huge psychological boost.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I check once a week. Daily fluctuations are too irritating for me.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If I weighed weekly and it happened to be these days where my weight has gone up I would be very upset. And would have missed the lower weight which might have been the previous day.
    I weigh daily because I want to know how my weight fluctuates.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    i wi and log it daily, yes it means my graph is up and down all over the place but when you then look at say 3 months as long as its heading down in general im happy.

i only got my new scales on Monday as not been wi or logging food properly since i had my baby 6 months ago but having the ability to wi in daily again has helped me stay on strack since being back at it properly
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, because it keeps me more accountable. I understand that fluctuations do arise and only record my weight once a week or so, but weighing daily in the morning allows me to recognize when I've had a more calorie-heavy day.

Also, if you're not already aware there's a PCOS group on here you could join: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

PCOS is definitely a struggle. Losing 4lbs is a good start!
  • Illyrien
    Illyrien Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning, and I have made that part of the morning rutine so that I never miss it. I know from sad experience, that its in periode where I dont't that I lose control over my weight.

I purchased a Withing weight backing in 2013 and its been a joy ever since. I just step up and it does all the work with saving the data, making nice graphs and integrating with many different sites. Like MyfitnessPal, Endomondo, Fitbit etc. They exchange a ton of data, which is great.

The Withings weight also does fat% measurements, though, since I weight myself first thing, that % is wrong... well, atleast its somewhat consistently wrong. ;)
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes. NOT weighing myself is what landed me here. It was the "I don't even know how I got here" story. I found that weighing once/week is a good routine for me.
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me.