Newer to this & need some serious motivation...

Good morning all! I have used Myfitnesspal in the past... but I wasn't really serious about losing weight. I mean I WAS... but what I should say is that I didn't want to put in the work to get to where I wanted to be. To make a long story short, I have put even more weight on. I started back roughly a week ago bc my weight has gotten to an all time high & it's put me in a funk. So much of a funk that I don't want to be around people. So, that being said, I decided I was going to give this a serious try. I have been logging my food (even if it's something I'm ashamed that I ate & KNOW that I shouldn't have). I went up to weigh myself this morning & I was feeling good about all that I have done within this past week... I even did my first 5K race EVER & I didn't know if I was going to finish it, but I did it! It was a serious gut punch when I got on the scale only to find that I have gained 2 lbs!!!! How did this happen? I thought I was doing everything right!! When I keep trying & don't see any kind of results, how am I supposed to have the motivation to keep going? I passed on foods I would normally love to indulge in. I have been fairly consistent with my water. I don't drink soda or any other sugary drinks. I just don't know what to do to get my body to stop holding onto this disgusting fat that is covering my body. Any suggestions would be great! Thank you for "listening"

Replies

• CliftonTrentMurphy
    CliftonTrentMurphy Posts: 8 Member
    maybe try eat small meals all day like something small but nice for breakfast then three hours later some granola or oats and then later eat lunch and make it not to big but still good and then three hours later eat something small like an apple or banana and then eat a small dinner. drink water before during and after every meal. make sure to eat slowly. like seriously eating slow will fill you up so fast. it might sound hard but the meals won't seem small because you'll already have eaten a little beforehand. I did it. so you can too. good job. you can do it
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    You can retain water after an intense exercise event, like your 5K, so you will show more weight on a scale. Stick with it and the weight will come off and give your body some time to get adjusted to your new lifestyle. Good luck/
  • Pepperh3ad
    Pepperh3ad Posts: 117 Member
    Great post, and congrats on your 5K! Much like yourself, I wasn't consistently serious about my weight until very recently (when it actually cost me something). Since then, I've dropped more than 70 lbs, and dealth with two "plateaus", which I've had a terrible time getting through in the past. First off, fluctuation is natural. It's never fun to see an increase after all your hard work, but I've fluctuated as much as 5 or 6 lbs before. Just take a deep breath, let it go, and get your focus back to where it needs to be.

If you're interested, I've started a vlog about my journey through this, and will be posting a lot of practical advice and tools to help people drop weight an get back in control of their health. Please feel free to check it out, and if you like what you see/hear, give it a "like" and subscribe. I've got lots more coming!

No Sweat, No Get
  • GazalleNina
    GazalleNina Posts: 1 Member
    Good Morning!! My name is Nina and I have had fitness pal before. Needless to say it was not my pal and I was not fit. I have decided that the only person who can change me is me. I want to finally break away from the jail that I have been in. It has been in my mind not my body. I had an eating disorder for about 13 years until I actually found out I was pregnant and decided to give my baby a chance. I wanted my baby to be healthy and get the nutrients he needed. At this point in my life, I was hovering around 100lbs for a 5 foot no inch gal. I was 20lbs below weight for my height.For once someone and something that was growing inside of me gave me and my body a fighting chance. However, my body was not introduce to food properly. I didn't know how to eat and how to properly nourish my body from the hell it was and had been through. I had morning sickness for the most part- but when I could eat. I would manage to eat whatever made my little one feel happy- sometimes that was everything. My unhealthy eating habits have seriously done a number on my body. However, my son is now 10 years old. I had another one since then and I am currently a single mom but I manage to have succeeded in beating the fight with ED for the past 8 years. I want to be healthy and I will be using the journal to help me track meals (healthy) not to count calories ( maybe a little to track what I am eating) and also write a blog about my experience and how I am feeling from the proud moments to any frustrations while losing weight. Please stay tuned and cheer me on and hopefully I can hear and help motivate anyone on the path to clean healthy living no matter where they are beginning.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    First things first. Congratulations on finishing your first 5K race.... I remember the first time I crossed that finish line it's a one of a kind feeling knowing your hard work and dedication paid off.

before you get all upset a couple of things to consider.
    1) Water weighs about 8.3 pounds per gallon.
    2a) Sport drinks contain Electrolytes.
    2b) Electrolytes is just fancy term for a slurry of sugar and salt.
    3) Salt retains water.

So when you're training and running and enjoying those post run snacks you're ingesting some higher, than usual, levels of sodium which will retain water which will drive your weight up.

The good thing about retaining sodium retained water weight is typically just drinking more water combined with a HEALTHY level of sodium will bring that number back down.