The NO WEIGH IN JULY Challenge!

Options
I spent my first few weeks here on MFP in awe. I came across this site to use the food journal, and I was able to find out about products, join challenges, and meet great people with the same goals. I was very motivated to start off and I used the site religiously, loving every minute of it.

The first week, I lost three pounds.

The next week, I didn't lost a pound.

...Then I gained it back within the next two weeks.

I didn't understand. I was exercising, I was under my calorie goal nearly everyday, and I had the motivation to lose the weight. So why wasn't it happening for me?

I immediately got discouraged. I journaled less frequently, to the point where I stopped altogether. I gave up on the 30 Day Shred that I had been so dedicated to. Exercising became less of a priority, and I just got lazy. I was working hard but not seeing results, so I might as well just eat what I want and go back to being fat, right?

Not right. Wrong. When I was exercising, I felt like I had more energy. I had real goals and felt good about what I was doing. After a week and a half of the 30 Day Shred, I could feel myself getting stronger and going faster and longer. I was finding healthier foods that I liked and making better food choices. But just because the numbers on a scale didn't reflect it, I gave up all that I had going for me that was good. Essentially, I gave up how I was feeling for what I was seeing on the scale. Which makes no sense.

Which brings me to my point. For those who are skimming this long-winded tale of woe and misery, let me emphasize this. I'M GETTING TO MY POINT NOW. I've decided that, for the month of July, I'm not weighing myself. I'm setting tangible goals that don't have to do with numbers on a scale, but rather with eating choices, exercise habits, and how I feel, and I'm inviting anyone who is up for this unique challenge to join me!

Here's how it will work: make a list of tangible, measurable goals that you hope to achieve throughout the days, weeks, or month. There is a list of samples and ideas below this description. Then check in daily/weekly/every once in a while to update us on your goals. I will try to get creative with tracking and motivation but my brain's not working right now. I plan on keeping a moderately detailed list in my blog each day to reflect on how I'm feeling rather than just checking in with numbers. Please give me any suggestions you have for organizing this challenge!

Here are some ideas for goals:
- Take a multivitamin every morning.
- Complete 60 minutes of cardio 5 times a week.
- Do strength training 4 days a week.
- Run for 15 minutes each day without stopping.
- Don't eat after 9:00pm.
- Three desserts per week.
- Keep complete food journal every day.
- No soda/chocolate/ice cream/etc.
- Do 20 push ups each day.
- Drink 8 glasses of water each day.
- Have fruit for breakfast 5 mornings per week.

The point with this challenge is to focus on the big picture - something that I know I struggle with, and I think a lot of people find challenging. Weight loss is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. This challenge is meant to take your mind off of micromanaging weight loss and deemphasize the numbers on a scale, and to help you focus on healthy habits. It is a great plan for beginners, plateau-ers, or anyone who needs to refocus on how you're feeling rather than what you weigh.

<3

Replies

• phredriq
    phredriq Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    just make sure you are eating enough! remember that if you eat too little, your metabolism will drop and your body will go into hibernation mode, and you'll stop losing weight... and any weight you do lose will be mostly muscle. pay attention to the recommended calorie intake for your basal metabolism and stick to it with healthy foods. For instance, if you just eat fruit for breakfast, all you are doing is eating carbs and some fiber. You've got to have a proper balance of fat, protein and complex carbs.
  • eliaison
    eliaison Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My husband always emphasizes to me that it has very little to do wtih the scale. He doesn't weigh in at all, and I keep it to only once per week.

Instead, he uses other measurements, such as, the first time he rode his bicycle downtown (eight miles) it took an hour, now it takes closer to 30 mins. The first time he rode it to work (he works 17 miles away!) it was really hard. Now he powers through most of the hills in high gear, no longer needing to shift down.

We both surf. When he began he could barely stay out 30 mintes and would come out exhausted. Now he stays out 2-3 hours. Myself, I was exhuasted the first few times I had to struggle into my tight wetsuit, now I've worked up to about an hour. We're both much stronger paddlers.

I use a tape measure during my weekly weigh ins and measure inches. In a week where I only lost 1 lb, I had lost 1 inch in my hips and a half inch in my thighs. I'm pretty stoked with those results!

Measuring inches, measuring in increased fitness, measuring by whether you are closer to fitting into certain clothes than you were before, are all MUCH better measures than a scale, imo!

I think you're on the right track setting those goals for yourself-- and focusing on lifestyle changes that will be permanant, such as learning to eat smaller portions, less fat, more wholesome and nutrutious foods, etc. I have personal experience with cutting too many calories in my desire to be trim only to re-gain swiftly and even add more. Because I was doing it wrong.

I hope the month of July brings you several very satisfying achievements!
  • kiragami
    kiragami Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ug....scary, but I'll give this a try. I want to loose the weight so I will keep trying until I succeed. I'm in :)

1: Log into my food journal daily
    2: Drink my 8 glasses on the weekends
    3: Work out at least 5 times a week
    4: STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALE!
    5: Believe in myself :)
  • Becky_Boop
    Becky_Boop Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm in, though it is going to be hard! My goals are:
    1. To drink my 8 glasses per day
    2. To get better with my 5fruit and veg
    3. To do atleast 20minutes cardio per day
    4. To try and encorporate excersise into my day to day life. (walk more &such).
    5. To get to the gym twice a week.

Since im not used to not monotering myself through the number on the scale, I might add, change or remove goals. Also, I think I will continue to use measurments to see how it's goin :)
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    good points well made - i've plateaued for over a month now (chocolate cravings haven't helped!), but i have still trained every other day and feel fitter and stronger than ever. It can't be just about the numbers but quality of life!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this - I'd like to join you. I recently read that you should give yourself 1-2 months without weighing or measuring - before taking a good hard look at the difference - and then you can really see it. With that thought in mind, I've gone from checking the scale weekly to every two weeks. It's not that scary to think of going a whole month.

I'm not sure what my goals would be yet. I'll think on it and post back later.

Official start date July 1? Is everyone doing an end of June weigh in for a benchmark?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm down for this too, girl! I am always a big proponent for using other benchmarks besides the scale, especially if you're working out. Yet my emotions hinge on that weigh-in number as well. Why are we so focused on that?

Here are my goals for July - most of which I started already, but will do in full force now ;)

* Work out at least 45 minutes, at least 5 times a week
    * Keep my sodium in check (a major problem in the past) - below 2400 mg every day, below 2000 mg most days
    * Post a positive focused blog post at least once a week

I am going on vacation in 3 weeks, so I may weigh myself the day we leave, just to see how things are going ... in case I have a vacay gain ;). Which leads me to goal #4 ...

* Make smart food choices when at all possible while on vacation

I'm liking this. Let's ROCK July, peeps!
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    You make a good point about the vacation check-in. I think I will cheat just once before I go away to make sure I don't go off track. X
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I'm down for this too, girl! I am always a big proponent for using other benchmarks besides the scale, especially if you're working out. Yet my emotions hinge on that weigh-in number as well. Why are we so focused on that?

Here are my goals for July - most of which I started already, but will do in full force now ;)

* Work out at least 45 minutes, at least 5 times a week
    * Keep my sodium in check (a major problem in the past) - below 2400 mg every day, below 2000 mg most days
    * Post a positive focused blog post at least once a week

I am going on vacation in 3 weeks, so I may weigh myself the day we leave, just to see how things are going ... in case I have a vacay gain ;). Which leads me to goal #4 ...

* Make smart food choices when at all possible while on vacation

I'm liking this. Let's ROCK July, peeps!

I love your goal of posting something positive at least once a week. Looking forward to reading it!

My July goals are to maintain what I've been doing - which is:
    *Exercise frequently (daily - have been doing 6 days a week, and letting my body decide when it's time for a rest)
    *Paying attention to my body's signal for rest - and honoring that
    *Extra water with each workout

What do you think peeps - should we plan replacement activities for those moments of weakness / curiosity / insanity... whatever - when we're compelled to peek?
  • km323
    km323 Posts: 124
    Options
    :heart: kiragami, :heart: Becky_Boop, :heart: smiles4miles, :heart: Clew: THANK YOU for joining me in this challenge! July starts tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to getting back on the wagon with you guys and not letting the scale get me down anymore!

Everyone's goals sound awesome, here are mine:

- Keep my sodium and sugar intakes in a reasonable range.
    - Take a multivitamin every day.
    - Have 8 cups of water each day.
    - Do strength training 5 days a week for at least 20 minutes.
    - Do cardio at least 5 days a week for 60 minutes.
    - Keep an honest food journal every day no matter what.
    - Wake up and go to bed at a reasonable time every day!
    - Post a constructive and positive blog entry once a week.

smiles4miles, I think a replacement activity for wanting to weigh-in would be a great idea! Unfortunately I have no constructive suggestions for one other than saying that I would totally be up for it and it's a great idea.
  • kiragami
    Options
    So far so good, I haven't weighed myself yet, but it's tempting! :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Ay ay ay. Having a moment of weakness.... yesterday was sort of a depressing day (missing friends and family who live far away) and I ate constantly all day. I'm so tempted to pop on the scales for the next several days to see the impact of that decision.... BUT.... I committed to not looking. So I'm not gonna look.

I guess coming to this thread and venting is going to end up being my replacement activity. So far it's working.
    I got new running shoes yesterday - I put em on and I'm ready to go..... maybe that will help boost my mood out of this little funk I'm in.

Hang tough people! 26 more days to go!!! :laugh:
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    haha I've had an awful weekend of eating, Its been made up of fast-food and "all-out" family meals. I'm quite glad that I'm not weighing in I dont want to see the damage I've done! I'll spend the next 20-something days making up for it, and hopefully after the month is up i'll have lost a few pounds =)
  • km323
    Options
    I had a pretty awful weekend too. I actually almost mindlessly weighed myself out of curiosity today but then I remembered this challenge and that I promised myself I wouldn't!

I was doing a good job exercising early in the month, but since the weekend it just been too hot to leave my air conditioned bedroom let alone go outside to run. I'm hoping to start running again this weekend because I can definitely feel myself improving.
  • km323
    Options
    Also, I have completely fallen off the food journal wagon and I definitely need to get back on.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Way to go guys, for staying away so far........ !!!!
  • kiragami
    Options
    Well, I haven't weighed myself and while I was getting ready to go out last night, I fit into an old pair of jeans I couldn't two months ago, yay me! :smooched:
  • natashafos
    Options
    Im jumping on this too. Scales only depress me and affect my eating habits. I will myself once more and then in a month
  • km323
    Options
    Well, I haven't weighed myself and while I was getting ready to go out last night, I fit into an old pair of jeans I couldn't two months ago, yay me! :smooched:

That's awesome! Way to go!
  • kiragami
    Options
    Hope every one is holding it down, we're half way there!!! :)