Finding business casual clothing that fits

Options
I'm having a hard time finding business casual clothing (specifically slacks/pants) that fit me well. Most seem to be too loose in the stomach/waist area and a good size in the thigh/saddle bag area (because that's the widest part of my body). I'm a small in tops and about a 4 or 6 in bottoms.

Does anyone else have an issue finding work clothing that fits them? I'm not sure if I should just wear them loose or just find ones that fit my legs and not my waist, and pay more money to have them taken in. But, I'm nervous to do that because I'm not sure when I'm going to be done losing weight.

I'm finding that this is an issue in both the Juniors and Women's sections for me!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Most people have this issue somewhat and the only thing you can do is try on a bunch of different brands/styles to see which fit best. You could also wear a belt.

My waist, or at least where the waistband of most pants hit, is large in comparison to my hips/butt/legs so I am the opposite of you but also have to try on a bunch of different pants to see which fit.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I second the previous poster. If you're worried about cost, head to a nice thrift/consignment shop to pick out pants that fit you on the widest part, and THEN take them to a tailor. Lot less $$ than buying full retail and then getting them taken in.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I second the previous poster. If you're worried about cost, head to a nice thrift/consignment shop to pick out pants that fit you on the widest part, and THEN take them to a tailor. Lot less $$ than buying full retail and then getting them taken in.

This.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't do the tailor typically; but I hate business casual. Pants are so difficult. I've reverted to just wearing skirt suits again. You may have to get tailor if your issue is a small waist but still much easier to deal with over business casual pants which are impossible.

Another great idea that I use for biz causal is wrap dresses or shirt / tier dresses (not sure what those re called, kind of like shift dresses that tie). They have them everywhere at all price points. You can tie the waist as tight as you need to fit your body and your legs will be fine.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    While tailoring is a great idea, I've found that I've also had luck with Banana Republic and Ann Tailor for ready-to-wear trousers with smaller waists. I just ordered some trousers from Brooks Brothers so I"m really hoping they fit without alterations. I've had luck with the two brands I mentioned as I have encountered that issues as well in both Juniors and Misses, however, I also don't like the fabrics that are used for many of the Juniors items I find that do fit, for business casual anyway. Good luck!
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have been transitioning to casual dresses for the summer. They are more forgiving in fit, and easy to throw on. I have the opposite problem, my waist is still big but my hips and thighs have lost a lot of weight. When I do buy pants, I buy from resale shops and look for stretchy waist pants that fit my hips and thighs better.