Meal timing

Options
A problem I'm having is meal timing. Typically I try to have breakfast about 7-8am, lunch 12-1, and dinner 5-7 (small snacks in between as munchies arise), and go to bed around 11, but because of my erratic work schedule and hubby being on night shift there are nights I don't get to bed until roughly 2am and mornings when I sleep in until 10-11. Some days I have trouble fitting three meals into the day without eating close to bed time, so I'm wondering if I should increase my portions on the shorter days and have two meals instead of trying to backtrack to breakfast (this would strictly be on days where I sleep in, so 1 or 2 days a week), or if that would be detrimental to weight loss.

Replies

• Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat. Eat when you can, but stay within your calorie limit. I eat sometimes right before bed. Still losing!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. As long as your in a calorie deficit you'll lose.

So yes go ahead and break up your meals how ever you want.

The only thing meal timing can effect is the hunger you feel and potentially your energy levels.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Shift your eating times and amounts per meal around to whatever works for you. You can have one big meal or 12 tiny meals. You can eat right up to bedtime as long as you don't have medical issues with that.

It doesn't matter when you eat, just how many calories overall.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you eat more on some days and less on other days, look at your daily average for the week.