Walking vs gym

Options
2»

Replies

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to pay for a gym learn about body weight calisthenics. When you get more advanced you can walk to a park that has some bars and use them to do really advanced calisthenics like pull-ups! Then walk back. Save the money from a gym membership, buy nice shoes, workout cloths and a good fitness tracker ... or whatever you like. There are tons of body weight exercises that can be done instead of gym machines. Also since they use multiple groups of muscles together you end up with a nice slender type of build.
  • scrubman
    scrubman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can walk and do strength training with even going to the gym. On your walks stop and do 15 wall push-ups. Then keep going till you find a lower wall and do reverse dips. Point is you can mix in upper body work while you are on your walk.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wow thanks guys!!! Great advice on here I'm going to just try both out and see which one I enjoy more. I really don't want to pay for a gym I was thinking maybe workout DVDs or YouTube stations and walking too maybe 30 minutes of both? I will try it out and try to make it fun

Check out "walking style" workouts on YouTube.....great for getting your workout done in crappy weather.

http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

I do a mix of cardio days & strength days. Just try out different things for awhile, find something you will stick with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh I mostly go to the gym to walk when it's not nice out (or when I want a better burn with incline).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I say do both, but am interpreting "walking" as focusing on increasing regular activity in my daily life and "gym" as intentional exercise. I try to walk as much as possible -- I walked home from my swimming yesterday and stopped at the store on the way, since the bus was going to require a lengthy wait anyway. I also always walk when I can instead of driving, bike to work when possible, and often get off a stop early when commuting to work. But all of this doesn't replace intentional exercise in my mind -- I also found activities I love, including some weight training and running (but it doesn't matter -- whatever you enjoy), and do that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    As long as you are moving, you should do what you like. If you have specific goals that require equipment you may find a gym more helpful.
    A gym is not an option for me. I walk and do workout videos.
    I've been doing a you tube playlist rotation from Jessica Smith for a bit and walking briskly 30 minutes to an hour a day.
    http://jessicasmithtv.com/plug-play-weekly-youtube-workout-rotation-playlist/
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Cardio for system health and strength training for muscle and skeletal health. Both for quality of life too.

Find ways to do both that you actually enjoy or you won't stick with them.