not very active or lightly active?

So I have my profile set to not very active but I really don't know if I should change it to lightly active since I walk alot through out the day.what do u guys think? Thanks!

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Do you have a way to track how many steps you take eg. phone with a tracking app? Why do you walk a lot during the day eg. mailperson or stay at home mum or the printer is at the other side of the office? You havent given us much to work with.

Eg. I have a full time desk job so I would usually put myself down as sedentary. I however also have 3 young kids so by the end of the day I usually clock up around 7,000 steps. I am very rarely below 5,000 steps.

Guidelines will vary here's one I found online.

Sedentary = <5000 step
    Low Active = 5000-7499 steps
    Somewhat Active = 7500-9999 step
    Active = 10000-12499 steps
    Highly Active = 12500+ steps

• salina14u
    salina14u Posts: 12 Member
    Sorry Iam a stay at home mom but I walk a hour everyday
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I say leave it on sedentary and use that as a buffer zone, but that's me.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    I am set to Lightly Active. I am a teacher. If you are using a step tracker, I don't think it actually matters what you set yourself to. As soon as you hit the MFP expectation for your activity level you start earning calories back. If I set myself to Sedentary I start with fewer calories to eat (1200), but quickly hit the activity level mark and start earning back calories. If I am at Lightly Active I start with more calories (1350), but it takes longer to surpass that activity level. In the end I think I eat the same amount with either setting.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    I am set to Lightly Active. I am a teacher. If you are using a step tracker, I don't think it actually matters what you set yourself to. As soon as you hit the MFP expectation for your activity level you start earning calories back. If I set myself to Sedentary I start with fewer calories to eat (1200), but quickly hit the activity level mark and start earning back calories. If I am at Lightly Active I start with more calories (1350), but it takes longer to surpass that activity level. In the end I think I eat the same amount with either setting.

This is basically what I was going to say. I've found that it pretty much evens out whether you choose sedentary or lightly active.

I've set myself to sedentary and eaten about half of my exercise calories back, and I've set to lightly active and eaten none back (unless I had an unusually active day). The number is just about the same.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    salina14u wrote: »
    Sorry Iam a stay at home mom but I walk a hour everyday

Stay-at-home mom's are not Sedentary :) For your Daily Activity Level, you are at least Lightly Active. You can count that hour of walking separately.