Protein and Weight Loss

I'm really trying to lose the little belly fat I have so my abs will show, and I feel like I'm not seeing any progress. I log my food and always stay under my calorie goal, no added sugars, only good carbs, etc. I eat fairly clean and exercise 5-6 a week (30 min. cardio and 30 min. weight.) I've read that protein is great for weight loss, and I make sure to incorporate protein like eggs for breakfast, fish for lunch and dinner, and a protein bar after I work out, etc.. Am I getting enough protein?? Are protein shakes what I need to kickstart the rest of my weight loss?

Replies

• samanthadelauder724
    samanthadelauder724 Posts: 9 Member
    Side note: I get at least 70 grams of protein a day
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    edited June 2016
    It doesn't what macronutrient you consume, weight loss comes down to calories in and calories out. The recommended amount of protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. Since your goal is fat loss, it is ideal to get an adequate amount of protein along with incorporating strength training.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    70 grams of protein is most likely enough (depends on how tall you are and how heavy that training is), no need for protein shakes unless you want to drink protein shakes. You don't kickstart weight loss :# and you can't spot reduce; belly fat is just the fat that happens to be on your stomach. You can focus on what you CAN do: Eat a variety of foods you like, so you don't get bored, log accurately, and stay active. Eating clean doesn't mean much, added sugar is chemically the same as naturally occurring sugar, good carbs isn't really a thing, and only calorie deficit is "good" for weight loss (in fact, required).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    edited June 2016
    Protein is great for ensuring muscle retention during weight loss, but it ultimately does not cause weight loss. As for if you're eating enough protein, what are your stats?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    70 grams of protein is most likely enough (depends on how tall you are and how heavy that training is), no need for protein shakes unless you want to drink protein shakes. You don't kickstart weight loss :# and you can't spot reduce; belly fat is just the fat that happens to be on your stomach. You can focus on what you CAN do: Eat a variety of foods you like, so you don't get bored, log accurately, and stay active. Eating clean doesn't mean much, added sugar is chemically the same as naturally occurring sugar, good carbs isn't really a thing, and only calorie deficit is "good" for weight loss (in fact, required).

This. I have visible abs and I would not consider my diet "clean" by any means. Exercise and a calorie deficit/recomp is what did it.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    If its recommended that you aim for 70g of protein daily and you are hitting that with your regular diet there is no need to go out and buy a protein powder etc. Protein isn't the weight loss aide you seem to think it is, during a calorie deficit protein will help repair muscles used in strength training and help prevent muscle loss whilst loosing weight.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Ok: weight loss on its own is CICO.
    However, don't listen to the people who say that chemical sugar and natural sugar are the same. Molecularly, yes... But "good carbs" from fruit and carbs with a better glycemic index are better for you in the long run. Fruits and veggies provide a lot of needed micronutrients and fibre to flush your system.

When you're in a calorie deficit, you want to maximize your intake to cover a healthy diet. Does that mean no sweets ever? No...

Protein: I snack on a mango/vanilla smoothie ( 70g frozen mangoes +a scoop of pure protein. Powder) at night to boost my protein, but I ensure its counted for in my daily caloric consumption.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Ok: weight loss on its own is CICO.
    However, don't listen to the people who say that chemical sugar and natural sugar are the same. Molecularly, yes... But "good carbs" from fruit and carbs with a better glycemic index are better for you in the long run. Fruits and veggies provide a lot of needed micronutrients and fibre to flush your system.

When you're in a calorie deficit, you want to maximize your intake to cover a healthy diet. Does that mean no sweets ever? No...

Protein: I snack on a mango/vanilla smoothie ( 70g frozen mangoes +a scoop of pure protein. Powder) at night to boost my protein, but I ensure its counted for in my daily caloric consumption.

And the points for derailing the topic go to....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Nobody here denies the nutritional benefits of fruit, vegetables and dairy. But the sugar in them is still sugar. Getting enough of all the nutrients you need, is important for your health, energy levels, satiety. If you want to lose weight, you don't want to be hungrier than you have to. But you don't want to feel deprived of everything you like, either. A good balance of taste and nutrition is a great help to stick to your allotted calories.
  • samanthadelauder724
    samanthadelauder724 Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you guys so much!!