Working out question

Options
Just curious if I should do light weights followed by some cardio, OR do just cardio like power walking, elliptical? Reason I ask is I have 150 lbs to lose till I hit my goal and don't know which method would benefit a big guy like myself better? I do want to see the scale go down along with my clothes fitting better. Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Do both strength training and cardio.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You are a big guy and I am going to presume you need to work into getting fit. For now to loose weight eat your calories MFP setup for you to loose weight and you can start doing some light activities like the power walking and even a few minutes on the elliptical. You need to work up to a point where you can do these without running out breath, hense getting into some cardio shape. You can build each day by increasing the intensity and increasing the length of time you spend doing these activities.

Once you are comfortable, pick up the weights as soon as you can. You can start lighter, this will help you learn exercises and and how to do proper form. then you should increase weights. I am not certain what type of program you may be interested in, like stuff to do at home or will you be joining a gym at some point. Start educating your self on lifting programs and how tos and set your self some goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Weight lifting will help you maintain your current muscle whilst eating at a deficit (I recommend considering a protein increase which will help as well). Lifting will allow you to loose less of your muscle mass that could be lost along side the weight/fat loss.

The weight lifting will help you maintain muscle and cardio will help you burn fat and calories.

I hope this helps out some!.