Looking to lose 40 lbs, questions about types of foods eaten

So I am a classic cliche of attempting fad diets and then binge eating and slowly piling on pounds. I'm up 40 lbs from my healthiest and most comfortable weight. I would like to try to get down to my goal weight within 6 months to a year. I was wondering if those of you who have been successful eat any types of foods you want as long as they fall within the calorie range, or do you eliminate certain food groups? My sister eats low carb and does maintain a healthy weight, but when she slips up and eats something not low carb for a few days she puts on weight quickly. I don't want to have that constant battle. I just want to lose weight and maintain it while still enjoying all foods, but I'm not sure that's possible. If anyone has had success with this, please let me know.

Also, if you are looking to lose a similar amount please friend me so we can motivate each other.

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    I eat pretty much anything I want as long as it fits in my calorie allotment. Granted, I make better choices on many things since something less calorie dense lets me eat more (like the giant spinach salad I had yesterday). That's what works for me, everyone has their own method that works for them.

Chances are your sister's weight gain from the carbs is water weight and will go away unless she somehow ate thousands of calories in carbs in those couple of days.

Best of success in your journey!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,131 Member
    I have lost 54 pounds since the end of September. I eat foods that I like and only restrict calories. I do try to meet my protien goal every day but I just let fats and carbs fill out however they do. I never have trouble hitting those two macros. I find that eating plenty of protien and fiber helps me not to be hungry, but for the most part I eat what I like and just stay at my calorie goal.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    When I stick to the calorie limits I do pretty well eating anything. Protein rich food does seem to have more of that "sticks to the ribs" feeling of fullness. Be careful of your portion size. Some foods are very calorie dense and do not take long to add up.
  • Pramasaurusrex
    Pramasaurusrex Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the advice!
  • JowitaGarstecka
    JowitaGarstecka Posts: 13 Member
    I eat almast everything but try not to eat to much sugar just limit my self to 1 time a week ...and you will find with time that you better of having another pice of chicken then that cake you saw in the shop as it will keep you fuller and you feel better. Still have day when you do indulge :). If you like them I suggest eating a lot of row vegetables they so low in cal that you can keep on snacking on them all day long and are super good for you.
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    I have just lost 40lbs (but overall have much more to lose than you). Since I started MFP, I have all but given up alcohol. I have never eaten added sugar. Otherwise, I eat pretty much anything, but try to keep it home made or very simple restaurant food so I know how to log it. Veggies and lean protein seem to give me the most bang for the buck when it comes to feeling full. Typically I go over on protein and light on carbs not so much because I have anything against carbs, just how it shakes out. Also, now I drink ~1 gal of water per day. Friend me if you like, I log my food every day and you are welcome to see my diary.