Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Would you take a look at my pushup plan?

2»

Replies

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    OODone wrote: »
    Check out the first few paragraphs of this article. If a bodybuilder is saying diet slow, I'd listen.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Except I'm obese, not a bodybuilder. My goals are clearly not going to be the same, so I take sites like these with a grain of salt. 2 pounds of weight loss is less than 1% of my current weight. I think I'll be fine.

You say you want to lose fat while preserving muscle.
    That's what bodybuilders do better than anyone.
    Why would you disregard advice from a bodybuilder just because you're currently obese?

I don't disregard advice from body builders. I just don't automatically accept what I hear from them as helpful for my situation. The one I quoted says it's a bad idea to lose more than 1.5 pounds a week. In my case, I believe 2 pounds a week is a better starting point since it's less than 1% of my weight and most of my extra weight is in my mid section.

I'm sure that max of 1.5 pounds a week is great for bodybuilders, but for me it's that annoying speed bump Walmart added that wasn't necessary. Bodybuilders have some great information to give, but I assume I'm not their targeted audience.

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Most fitness professionals recommend not working the same muscle group 2 days in a row, to prevent overtraining injuries. They also recommend balancing pushing exercises (like pushups) with an equal number of sets of pulling exercises (pull-ups or bodyweight rows, for example), to avoid developing muscle imbalances that affect posture and lead to injuries. You can avoid both issues by following one of the programs mentioned earlier. :+1:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OYUxXMGVuuU
    Is this what you mean by bodyweight rows?

Oh and thanks for mentioning all the bodyweight programs, everyone.

Yes, that is a bodyweight row. An easier variation if you can't do straight legged ones is to do them with your knees bent.

I really think your best bet is to follow a preplanned progression for bodyweight workouts, rather than just trying to push for insane volumes in one particular workout. Even if you just go with something free like the Reddit bodyweight routine or follow startbodyweight.com, you're going to preserve more muscle and probably build more strength than just doing the same thing over and over again.
  • Colt1835
    Most fitness professionals recommend not working the same muscle group 2 days in a row, to prevent overtraining injuries. They also recommend balancing pushing exercises (like pushups) with an equal number of sets of pulling exercises (pull-ups or bodyweight rows, for example), to avoid developing muscle imbalances that affect posture and lead to injuries. You can avoid both issues by following one of the programs mentioned earlier. :+1:

Yes, that is a bodyweight row. An easier variation if you can't do straight legged ones is to do them with your knees bent.

I really think your best bet is to follow a preplanned progression for bodyweight workouts, rather than just trying to push for insane volumes in one particular workout. Even if you just go with something free like the Reddit bodyweight routine or follow startbodyweight.com, you're going to preserve more muscle and probably build more strength than just doing the same thing over and over again.

I'm going to look into progressive bodyweight plan. I do a little bit of calisthenics now, but nothing that is progressive yet. I'm glad I posted here before starting anything that could have wasted my time.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member

I'm going to look into progressive bodyweight plan. I do a little bit of calisthenics now, but nothing that is progressive yet. I'm glad I posted here before starting anything that could have wasted my time.

:) I bounced around trying all sorts of random calisthenics movements before stumbling onto You Are Your Own Gym, so I totally understand. It made a huge difference for me, I hope finding a good program helps you too!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Lifting weighs helps prevent catabolism whilst in a deficit,
  • Colt1835
    So I'm thinking about starting with some dumbbells, and I'm thinking about taking advice from this video. I want to know if you all think this is a good place to start.

The video claims these 8 exercises will work every muscle, but I have no idea if that's true. Would I be missing any important muscles if I did this? I'll probably end up doing a mix of bodyweight and dumbbells as soon as I can figure out a good plan. And I would make this a progressive plan as well.

Dumbbell Curl and Press
    Crush Grip Goblet Squats
    Thrusters
    Farmer Carry
    One Arm DB Incline Bench Press
    DB Pullovers
    Swings
    Tripod Dumbbell Rows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1r9toPQNkM